Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Seat Hardware Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
sfl111rml
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Seat Hardware Removal Question

Hello all. This is my first post. I recently bought a 2007 Police Edition Road King and have ordered a Harley Davidson sundowner solo seat. How much of the police seat mounting hardware do I have to remove in order to install the sundowner solo seat and how difficult is it? Thanks for the help.

Sam

Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not hard. Everything just unbolts.
Remove the bolt holding the mounting bracket up buy the tank and take the seat off.
Remove the air line to the bladder.
There is a nut holding the bladder to the frame. Remove the battery to get to it.
It was a little bit of work getting my battery out (tight fit) but once you get that bladder hardware out of the way, there is plenty of room.
Then just unbolt the air tank and if you want to remove the radio box mount, take off the bags and you have 1 torx bolt on each side. Get the right socket for it and give it a quick snap to break it free or risk stripping it. I think it has locktight on it so its stubborn.
Get rear seat mount hardware from dealer. I took the threaded mount and slipped it onto a long wire tie like a bead. Ran the tie under the fender and thru the fender hole. Pulled it up into position and slid on the clip. Cut the wire tie. Now your ready for your new seat.

Last edited by carpetride; 09-23-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM
sfl111rml
6th Gear

I think I can do that. Thanks very much for the detailed information!

Sam

Old 04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
deviatebiker
1st Gear

Originally Posted by carpetride
It's not hard. Everything just unbolts.
Remove the bolt holding the mounting bracket up buy the tank and take the seat off.
Remove the air line to the bladder.
There is a nut holding the bladder to the frame. Remove the battery to get to it.
It was a little bit of work getting my battery out (tight fit) but once you get that bladder hardware out of the way, there is plenty of room.
Then just unbolt the air tank and if you want to remove the radio box mount, take off the bags and you have 1 torx bolt on each side. Get the right socket for it and give it a quick snap to break it free or risk stripping it. I think it has locktight on it so its stubborn.
Get rear seat mount hardware from dealer. I took the threaded mount and slipped it onto a long wire tie like a bead. Ran the tie under the fender and thru the fender hole. Pulled it up into position and slid on the clip. Cut the wire tie. Now your ready for your new seat.
Just got an 08 FLHP -- got the 2 up seat screw & nut kit - what else do I have to buy besides the seat? If I remove the radio box platform -- how do I relocate the license plate holder? Looks like stock holder only mounts to box rail.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
sfl111rml
6th Gear

I started this short thread and replaced my police seat with an HD sundowner solo seat. When you removed the police box platform, I'm sure you saw that the license plate braket bolts at the top to the tubular rack. You can buy a license plate bracket that does not have the upper bolt hole tabs from HD. I think it is stock on a Road King.

Sam

Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 AM
deviatebiker
1st Gear
Default Front solo seat bracket & radio support rail removal

Thanks info. I got the seat off. I'm assuming that the support bracket that the seat front bolt goes into has to come off, too?

If I remove the radio box platform, can I leave the support rail on with a 2 up seat?

Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by deviatebiker
Thanks info. I got the seat off. I'm assuming that the support bracket that the seat front bolt goes into has to come off, too?

If I remove the radio box platform, can I leave the support rail on with a 2 up seat?
If I remember right, there is a bolt that's holding on that front bracket to the frame. Remove the bracket to enable the front seat tongue to slip into its slot.

You can leave that rear mount on the bike with a 2 up seat, That part is actually the same mount that attaches the factory tour pack.