Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Touring bike heat from right exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 09 Touring bike heat from right exhaust

I don't know what to do to reduce the heat coming from the right pipe. I have a SE AC and PCV and my passenger is not a happy camper to say the least. Her right leg and foot are getting hot, even when the bike is moving with the lower fairings open.

If I place my hands behind the 2 mufflers (CFRs) at idle, I can feel a significant difference in temperature between the 2 sides. The right side being much hotter.

Would true duals help? I'm not looking at increasing performance, I'm looking at reducing heat and also keep my mpg at normal levels (in the 40 mpg range)

Help mucho appreciated.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM
edellavedova
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the same information for my 2009 Road King.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife complains on ours also. I have been reading on this forum about the RJ Originals. Sounds like they can redirect the wind and keep the heat off the right ankle. However, I haven't come up with the $$ to buy them and now that it is winter I'll probably wait unless there is a big winter sale or something.

I know! I didn't help any with your questions. Sorry! I did recommend to my wife that she could GET HER OWN BIKE. Yeah.....that didn't fly very far

Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bellgnte
My wife complains on ours also. I have been reading on this forum about the RJ Originals. Sounds like they can redirect the wind and keep the heat off the right ankle. However, I haven't come up with the $$ to buy them and now that it is winter I'll probably wait unless there is a big winter sale or something.

I know! I didn't help any with your questions. Sorry! I did recommend to my wife that she could GET HER OWN BIKE. Yeah.....that didn't fly very far
I seriously doubt the RJ originals are gonna do anything to your wife's ankles, unless she stands on your seat. LOL

Anyway, all the gizmos like this one are addressing the symptom, not the root cause. I'd prefer to tackle the issue where it originates. If I need a different map, ok, if it's the crossover pipe that needs eliminated, ok, I can buy that, but the rest, in my opinion, is pretty much snake oil.
Sorry to put it bluntly but that's what I think.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 09-23-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
edellavedova
Cruiser

Not out yet, but I was thinking this might help:

http://www.jackpotmufflers.com/headpipes.htm

Also, maybe coating the head pipes in ceramic or heat wrap.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

My all stock bike ran hot then I ordered FuelMoto Package (PCV, Rush Mufflers w/ 2" Baffles, Chrome backing plate and K&N Filter). Currently runs superb and cooler. Can still feel the heat from the motor on a hot day even though the deflectors don't function at 100% percent when idling. Deflectors works great when I'm riding. Don't know the Oil Temperature as I plan on having my mechanic install the gauge next Spring. Should have done it when I first picked my Ultra up last fall.

Thorey

Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by edellavedova
Not out yet, but I was thinking this might help:

http://www.jackpotmufflers.com/headpipes.htm

Also, maybe coating the head pipes in ceramic or heat wrap.
I'm leaning towards true duals but I'd like to hear positive experiences from owners before I shell 400 bucks.
I read posts from guys who coated their headpipes (Jet-Hot) and they were not enthusiastic about the results.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
My all stock bike ran hot then I ordered FuelMoto Package (PCV, Rush Mufflers w/ 2" Baffles, Chrome backing plate and K&N Filter). Currently runs superb and cooler. Can still feel the heat from the motor on a hot day even though the deflectors don't function at 100% percent when idling. Deflectors works great when I'm riding. Don't know the Oil Temperature as I plan on having my mechanic install the gauge next Spring. Should have done it when I first picked my Ultra up last fall.

Thorey
If I were you, I'd forget about an oil temp gauge and save $250 (installed). What good will it do to know the actual temperature of the oil?
I'd use the $250 bucks to mount an oil cooler. It'll help lower the oil temp, something the gauge won't do.
I have the HD Premium Oil Cooler on my bike and it does run cooler than without it, but it's still too hot for my taste (and hers).
Just my opinion.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM
katfish
6th Gear
Cool muffler heat

If your getting to much heat from your exhaust, try the true duals from RUSH , they are ceramic coated inside and out, this will drop the exhaust temp down at least 300 degrees. this will make it more comfortable for your passenger and you.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the lower fairings off. The lower fairings let head build up right around the passenger ankle area. On the earlier Ultras it was on both sides. With the new 09's it sounds like it's on the right side. Having the lower fairings on the bike in hot weather doesn't affect you as much as it does passenger. I take them off in the spring and put them back on in the fall. During the summer I carry the HD soft lowers for when I run into rain and cold mornings. They roll up into next of nothing. Your passenger will immediately notice the difference. All the other things help a bit, but not as much as this.

Quick Reply: 09 Touring bike heat from right exhaust