Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Touring bike heat from right exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frenchie,
I am not on the forum much anymore since I sold you this bike but just happened upon your thread. I never had any kind of heat issues on the bike with the Rineharts that were on it when I sold it to you but then I never had the lowers on it either and with the PCV from Fuel moto I felt like the tuner was properly mapped. Since you have changed to the CFR mufflers I'm thinking the problem may be in the tune and maybe taking the lowers back off. Otherwise I hope you are enjoying the bike.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
If I were you, I'd forget about an oil temp gauge and save $250 (installed). What good will it do to know the actual temperature of the oil?
I'd use the $250 bucks to mount an oil cooler. It'll help lower the oil temp, something the gauge won't do.
I have the HD Premium Oil Cooler on my bike and it does run cooler than without it, but it's still too hot for my taste (and hers).
Just my opinion.
Exactly, I put the oil gauge on my ’08 and it was the biggest waist of money I ever spent. So on my ’09 I used that money to buy an oil cooler. I don’t know if it works but it’s better than that worthless oil temp gauge.

Originally Posted by katfish
If your getting to much heat from your exhaust, try the true duals from RUSH , they are ceramic coated inside and out, this will drop the exhaust temp down at least 300 degrees. this will make it more comfortable for your passenger and you.
Juts how hot is the exhaust anyway, if it will drop 300 begrees?

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
Take the lower fairings off. The lower fairings let head build up right around the passenger ankle area. On the earlier Ultras it was on both sides. With the new 09's it sounds like it's on the right side. Having the lower fairings on the bike in hot weather doesn't affect you as much as it does passenger. I take them off in the spring and put them back on in the fall. During the summer I carry the HD soft lowers for when I run into rain and cold mornings. They roll up into next of nothing. Your passenger will immediately notice the difference. All the other things help a bit, but not as much as this.
I just take off the vents, much more air flow around the legs and motor area.

Originally Posted by Mick
You didn't mention how many miles are on the bike right now.
My 09 and previous bike (06 FLHT) both ran very hot till around 5000 miles.
I went and removed the fairing lower "vents" which allows a bunch more airflow by the sides of the engine , that helped with the 09 quite a bit.
I also added Soos 1" floorboard spacers and this allowed slightly more air inside my legs and around the cylinders.
My wife actually noticed the difference from each change as a passenger also.
I'm at about 7000 miles now and I just put the fairing vents back in for the fall , I may leave them in next summer as my break in is now done.
My bike is factory stock (engine wise) so I could track the changes in "felt" temperature as the bike broke in.
The factory exhaust still flows about 70% out the right muffler by design , so that's where the heat difference come from.
The bike doesn't feel like a nuclear reactor anymore , for sure.
Mick
I took off the vents too, then put them back on the first of September. I should have waited until the first of October for here in Texas.

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
True duals are not gonna help a whole lot on an 09.

The reason they helped in prior years was the elimination of the header pipe running down the right side. As the 09 true duals have pretty much the same header routing as the stock pipes, I don't see them making much difference with heat.....................
My thought too. They helped a lot on my '08 but I don't see how they would do anything on an '09

Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
Frenchie,
I am not on the forum much anymore since I sold you this bike but just happened upon your thread. I never had any kind of heat issues on the bike with the Rineharts that were on it when I sold it to you but then I never had the lowers on it either and with the PCV from Fuel moto I felt like the tuner was properly mapped. Since you have changed to the CFR mufflers I'm thinking the problem may be in the tune and maybe taking the lowers back off. Otherwise I hope you are enjoying the bike.
Walt,

Great to hear from you. How are you doing? I love the bike ( I should say we love the bike) and it has close to 5,000 miles now. That's a good proof that we enjoy it, no?

I replaced the Rineharts for 2 reasons: sound and looks. I wanted pipes with a deeper/beefier sound and I wanted bigger pipes to fit the wide fender/wide tire. The CFRs are awesome but since they're 4" diameter vs 3.25" for the Rineharts, the airflow is different. Dynojet sent me a custom map that I loaded yesterday but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

The heat is not unbearable but it's definitely there. Michelle complains that her right foot and calf are hot and they are. I can definitely feel the heat around the right passenger peg.

I'm confident we'll find a solution though.

Take care and let's keep in touch.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 09-24-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 AM
bubbleb
Advanced

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
What model/year bike does he ride?
he rides an 09 ultra w/ pcv and k&n a/c

Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Tru Duals are your only real choice. Not sure why HD decided to run all the exhaust on one side, especially since everyone was already complaining about excess heat when they had it on both sides, seems like a really dumbass idea to me, and it looks even dumber. But what do I know, i'm just a consumer.