Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't stand the gas fume smell anymore

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:34 PM
wigglestick
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also smell gas fumes from my 09 Street Glide when I park it after a ride. If that is not normal then something is amiss with mine too

Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 607 Likes on 441 Posts

my '08 ultra did the same, after riding would fill the garage with gas fumes had it to 2 dealers and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Hope you figure it out. The woman next door had her ex husbands bike explode from the gas fumes when the water heater kicked on, BOOM.
Leaving the door open till it airs out is a good idea.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

The vent for those tanks is a rubber or plastic hose that runs under the console toward where the front of the seat hooks into the fuel tank. I believe there is a fitting there where it joins another hose that is supposed to vent the fumes out under the bike. Just a thought,remove your seat and look at where the vent hose comes out from the console. Good Luck

Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
The vent for those tanks is a rubber or plastic hose that runs under the console toward where the front of the seat hooks into the fuel tank. I believe there is a fitting there where it joins another hose that is supposed to vent the fumes out under the bike. Just a thought,remove your seat and look at where the vent hose comes out from the console. Good Luck
At least on the 09 touring bikes, the vent line is a single plastic tobe that runs from the fuel top plate assembly down to the bottom of the frame. It does not join any other hoses.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

perhaps it has come loose from the nipple on the top plate

Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Will CF
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same issue with my '09... but for me I get some gas smell while I am riding, only warm days... typically if I have about a half tank of fuel... I have been assuming that it was a fuel tank vent thing, but I think maybe its worth more investigation... I looked over the fuel lines etc. and have found no "Obvious" source.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bamorris2
At least on the 09 touring bikes, the vent line is a single plastic tobe that runs from the fuel top plate assembly down to the bottom of the frame. It does not join any other hoses.
I had the seat off of mine yesterday,just behind the fuel tank where the plastic tubing starts to go down there is a rubber elbow that connects the two plastic lines together. It could be possible that it is loose there.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You will always have that smell because there is a tank vent line that runs under the tank and down to the ground. Unless they fit an evaporative emissions system the fuel vapors have to go some where. Personally it doe not bother me!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 AM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

gas cap on? Dont ask me how I know.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 PM
jtb4ever
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem on my 09 sg.mine also has the smell at an idle stop and after the bike is shut off. i mentioned it to my dealer and they said its normal. i wish i didnt have this smell,but if it is normal i guess i will deal with it.

Quick Reply: I can't stand the gas fume smell anymore