Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't stand the gas fume smell anymore

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty sure its gas vapor but i'll check the transmission. I was hoping to resolve this myself with out service. it did recently have its 1k done at the dealership. can't say if it got stronger since then. it might have since i didn't think to bring it up then.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:58 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You might try locating the source of the fumes with a kitchen match.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

could be a pin hole in the fuel line or cracked/defective fitting coming off the tank.
Had that problem with my softail. replaced the fuel line, went away.

Last edited by carpetride; 09-23-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
IslandGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a smell from my 09 SG that I didn't have on my 08 SG. Not a raw gas smell, but a strong fumy smell (sorry can't describe better). When I park in the garage, I can notice it from my right exhaust, but not my left. I have Rinehart slip ons, SE air filter and stage 1 download and 5000 miles on bike. Not sure if it's the same smell as Jags93, but could be??

Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
You might try locating the source of the fumes with a kitchen match.
This is funny but Do Not Do This under any circumstances! I think the smell you are talking about is from unburnt fuel vapors coming out of the exhaust when the motor is shut down. My Ultra emits this smell which quickly fills the garage even though I shut it down as soon as I am in my garage. I leave the garage door open for awhile to clear the fumes just to be safe. However, I have never smelled gas fumes when on the road or when stopped at a light, etc.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Gregte
Advanced

It may be obvious but make sure the gas cap is screwed on tight....several clicks....as I had that smell on occasions and it was only when the cap was not tightened past a few audible clicks.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Same here. I have this same gas fumes smell in my garage when I park the bike after a ride and I just leave the garage door open for a few minutes. Then the smell disappears. No smell when I'm on the road, nor when idling at a traffic light. I don't worry about it.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't they say it would smell different when it cut to one cylinder when it get hot and you're in traffic?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Have same issue here. The reference you made to the free flowing vent valve is probably from me. Anyway, I haven't found a cure for it yet. And just to clarify for others, this smell that some of us 09 owners are having is raw fuel vapors coming out of the vent tube. Seems that for 2009, MoCo went with a free flowing fuel tank vent valve that only closes if the bike is tipped. Otherwise the vent is open 100% of the time, and therefore emits vapors at will. On hot days, as the fuel expands, th vapors come out of the vent tube.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 PM
FLigHT Ri$K
Novice

I was wondering this as my new 09 does the same thing. I leave the garage door open for few minutes after shut down and all is good. Venting sounds like the issue and that it's nothing serious.

Quick Reply: I can't stand the gas fume smell anymore