Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did your rear shocks last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did your rear shocks last?

I have 33,000 miles on my Ultra and I found out today the rear shocks wore out. I didn't notice it much because I think they wore out over a long time and I didn't notice a big difference from one day to the next. However, now that I know they are bad, I did notice a ruff ride lately.

I had them replaced today and boy what a difference.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My bike is much earlier than yours, but I found out mine were past their best at about the same mileage! I currently have Fournales air shocks and am looking around for something better. Both these and the originals bottom-out too easily when riding fully laden and 2-up.

Shocks are getting quite an airing in Touring and Dyna forums. I am leaning towards Ohlins from HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can change out the oil in them, and it will bring them back to new again...........for a lot cheaper then a new set of shocks costs.

I have 42000 miles on my '05, and I'm still getting a good ride. I'm planning on doing the oil change this winter to them to freshen them up for next year.

Steve

Old 09-23-2009, 07:34 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Change oil in shocks? My service manual says if ANY oil leaks out of a shock, it's ruined and needs to be replaced. Whatever, do what ya want. Make sure to let everyone know how bad your rear wobble gets also.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Change oil in shocks? My service manual says if ANY oil leaks out of a shock, it's ruined and needs to be replaced. Whatever, do what ya want. Make sure to let everyone know how bad your rear wobble gets also.
The oil can be changed in the shocks...."Your service manual" is full of places that tell you you gotta buy new parts when they can be reused.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
You can change out the oil in them, and it will bring them back to new again...........for a lot cheaper then a new set of shocks costs.

I have 42000 miles on my '05, and I'm still getting a good ride. I'm planning on doing the oil change this winter to them to freshen them up for next year.

Steve
That's exactly right. Just like putting in new oil in the front forks, you can also bring the shocks back to new with an oil change. If the seals are leaking then nothing will help.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

One thing to keep an eye on the bottom of the shock under the boot. You might wanna put some oil under there to keep them from rusting. The boot traps water and promotes rust. I learned the hard way after I had the bottom of a shock nearly rust thru before I found it.

Attached Thumbnails How long did your rear shocks last?-shock.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
One thing to keep an eye on the bottom of the shock under the boot. You might wanna put some oil under there to keep them from rusting. The boot traps water and promotes rust. I learned the hard way after I had the bottom of a shock nearly rust thru before I found it.
Good idea, had not thought of that.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I took off my rear stock air shocks off my 09 6 months into getting the bike...No matter what pressure I had in them (and the pressure wasnt leaking) I'd bottom out over bumps and the bike would make a ugly sound.

I put a set of Progerssive 440's on it. No more Bottoming out even though I kept the stock length 12 inch's and the ride is sooo much better.

I cant say the differance was worth the $650.00 I paid for them but everyone told me that the stock shocks were junk and I would notice a big differance. Price aside...they were right.

HOWEVER.......if they work for you and you can bring them back to life as you say....go for it...it's not a cheap fix to replace them.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same bottoming out problem with my shocks.. I pump it up to the proper PSI. I have the original shocks for 2000 with 60K+, but i have no leaks. I don't know what brand to up-grade to!

Quick Reply: How long did your rear shocks last?