Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather or Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM
bigcletus
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Leather or Synthetic

I just changed over to HD non-leather riding gear. So far I really like it, better than leather. Anyone care to provide their opinions on leather or synths? Thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcletus
...Anyone care to provide their opinions on leather or synths?
Really depends on the material and what you want it to do. Here's an interesting link that might help.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer the look and feel of leather jackets.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

My son wears one of HD's non-leather jackets with the armor plating in the shoulders and elbows.
He just couldn't find a leather jacket he liked (or wanted).
All I told him is that my HD leather jacket is 20 years old and still looks great, I don't think his will last that long.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah. I think good quality leather is better, as a general rule, for abrasion protection. Leather also wears almost forever. I have several leather jackets that are more than 20 years old.

How long did you wear leather before switching and why did you decide to do it?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
bigcletus
Cruiser

I've been using various leathers for a few years..I just found a great deal a couple of weeks ago on Kijiji for a 12 year old Harley leather jacket, being sold by someone's ex-wife (I'm sure there is a story there!) . Its one of those 50's style, epaulets on the shoulders and a waist belt. It was full of old bug guts and a bit dried out. I cleaned and oiled it with a good quality leather condition..wow..looks brand new. no wear marks at all. The leather is supple and almost like a lambskin. I'll wear that one for local cruising and the ballistic nylon for touring.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 PM
medic1555
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought the Harley Heritage jacket. I debated for weeks between traditional leather and this new high tech stuff. Well, after wearing it now for a few weeks, I can honestely say it is hands down the best jacket I have ever owned. This thing is made like a custom fitted suit. I still love the feel and smell of dead cows mind you but I may never go back to one for a riding jacket. http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer leather when riding my HD, it just seems to fit the style better. One caution, synthetic jackets and pants WILL tend to scratch your tank more easily than leather, so be careful particularly if you hug the tank with your knees.

Originally Posted by bigcletus
I just changed over to HD non-leather riding gear. So far I really like it, better than leather. Anyone care to provide their opinions on leather or synths? Thanks

Old 09-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Cooler weather I always wear leather. Summer I usually wear mesh jackets.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I've had a leather jacket for over 25 years and it still looks brand new. Made by Brooks. I also have a synthetic jacket with the armour built in. The leather looks much better and will outlast the synthetic easily. Both have zip out liners. The leather is heavier and doesn't allow nearly as much freedom of movement. It's also quite a bit warmer. I like them both.

Quick Reply: Leather or Synthetic