Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

show your bagger with apes

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13" cyclesmiths

Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 AM
sbn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see some of you guys with batwing faring bikes that have the faring mirrors still use the faring mirrors.

Can you see anything in those mirrors when you have the apes?

I 184 cm high, think its about 6 foot for you americans ;-) Would a 12-13 inch bar have my hands over, under or level with my shoulders? I use a stock seat. And is that high enough to still be able to use the faringmirrors?

What do you need other then the bars to make this work? extended cables, wires what? And if you have done the bar change yourself how long did it take? If done in a shop how long time did you get charged for?

Im not a mecanic so trying to find out if its something I can mess with myself, or I have to have a shop take care of it. And if I need to go to a shop, I would like to be able to know if they are charging me for too many hours for the job.

Thanks guys and let those pics keep coming. The bikes look sweet.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 AM
sbn
Cruiser

nobody who can answer my questions? Or have more pics of baggers with apes?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 AM
cleebear
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm about the same height as you. With the 12" monkey bars, I'm able to use the stock mirrors and look under my arms. My hands are just beneath the level of my shoulders until I lean back and kick my feet up on the cruising pegs, then they're right at shoulder height. It helps to have a service manual available for the install. I was able to use the stock wires, just had to re-route them. The brake and clutch cable are extended. If you have everything that you need for the install it can be completed in one day.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sbn
I see some of you guys with batwing faring bikes that have the faring mirrors still use the faring mirrors.

Can you see anything in those mirrors when you have the apes?

I 184 cm high, think its about 6 foot for you americans ;-) Would a 12-13 inch bar have my hands over, under or level with my shoulders? I use a stock seat. And is that high enough to still be able to use the faringmirrors?

What do you need other then the bars to make this work? extended cables, wires what? And if you have done the bar change yourself how long did it take? If done in a shop how long time did you get charged for?

Im not a mecanic so trying to find out if its something I can mess with myself, or I have to have a shop take care of it. And if I need to go to a shop, I would like to be able to know if they are charging me for too many hours for the job.

Thanks guys and let those pics keep coming. The bikes look sweet.
As another said, you'll be abel to use your wires as is, just rerout them under the radio if you use 13" apes.Thats about as far as you can go though. As far as the cables go, you'll need +6 on 13" and +9 on 16" on all cables and brake lines.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10" baby apes

Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

i'm not much for baggers,but i had to look at this thread...i think baggers look awesome w/apes...especially Carlini gangsters as seen on slicks RKC

Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
slick10
Road Master

I'm 6' tall and have 14" Wild1 bagger apes. They fit me well. My hands are just above my shoulders, but I'm used to riding that way. I had 16" apes on my 07 FLSTC. I don't have a problem seeing the stock mirrors. I just glance under my arms. I ordered everything; bars, clutch cable, brake cables, wiring extension kit and throttle by wire extension from hdbikeparts.com. They were really helpful on sizes and everything fit great. My indy did the work and it took him about 6 hours. I don't know what an HD shop would charge. You can see what my bike looks like with the bars from my previous post.

Last edited by slick10; 09-24-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

16" tall, 1.25" diameter and internally wired.

Quick Reply: show your bagger with apes