Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Diagnostic Manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM
tstyles
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Diagnostic Manual

I'm going to purchase the service manual for my Road Glide but do I need the Electrical Diagnostic Manual? Doesn't the service manual have a basic wiring diagram? Just wondering what exactly is in that manual that is not in the service manual and if that's something that I would eventually need.
thanks.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Drail
Advanced

My service and repair manual has the ED Manual with it. what year is your RG?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 PM
lock55
Cruiser

Service manual and electrical are two different books. You need the electrical for all the codes.

HD does NOT sell their manuals in download form. Anyone doing so is doing it illegally and we do not allow such discussion on HD Forums. This post has been edited to remove such reference.
The Moderator Team

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 01-02-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy different books 60 bucks

Your service manual dont show whats behind the drive components/ compensating sprocket assy, the stator is what I need to see. The brake down is what will help me replace my stator. Harley stinging me again.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by WRKD4ITFLHX2008
Your service manual dont show whats behind the drive components/ compensating sprocket assy, the stator is what I need to see. The brake down is what will help me replace my stator. Harley stinging me again.
The EDM won't show a part breakdown either, will only show how to troubleshoot the stator. A parts book will show a breakdown. What is it that you are looking for exactly?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by lock55
Service manual and electrical are two different books. You need the electrical for all the codes.

HD does NOT sell their manuals in download form. Anyone doing so is doing it illegally and we do not allow such discussion on HD Forums.

The Moderator Team
Nobody has mentioned downloading manuals in this thread except "you"

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

NO. I deleted the reference from that message. Got a problem with that?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

At the rate Google is going (converting text documents to electronic search-able content) it'll all be on-line within a few years. Based on Amazon.com's sales information most motorcycle WSM's are within the top 1M of all books sold. Given how many books are published and sold every year that would make WSM's one of the higher priorities on any list of books that could/should be converted to electronic format if one was in the business that Google has decided to pursue.

I purchased the hard copies of my WSM's from HD . . . but I would have paid MORE if I could have had them in a searchable electronic format. I work for an OEM, and one of my responsibilities is providing our WSM's in a secure form to our dealers. There is absolutely no reason why HD couldn't do the same, at a retail profit, if they wanted to.

There is absolutely nothing that a little Time and the Competition can not cure!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

...back to our program:

the service manual has wiring diagrams.

the ED manual is for those with enough of a background to run tests and understand results, determining a diagnosis.

if you think that describes you, you might find the ED an interesting read.

BTW my 1966 Cadillac shop manual has fantastic diagnosis sections in it. really covers basic and complex functions of many of the car's components. fun to read.

mike

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I've used the Electrical Diagnostics manual a few times. It does go further in electrical and electronic systems than some guys would feel comfortable with. Of course some guys think the only use for electrical tape is to cover the check engine light.

The following users liked this post:
joeridesalot (06-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Electrical Diagnostic Manual