Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Diagnostic Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
The EDM won't show a part breakdown either, will only show how to troubleshoot the stator. A parts book will show a breakdown. What is it that you are looking for exactly?
I watched Youtube, they showed a guy r/r his stator. just like to see torque values and other info to do this repair. Reference to go back and make sure my bike is good to go. Oh yeah the proper tools needed to make the job easy. Not having the right tools make wrenching hell.

Last edited by WRKD4ITFLHX2008; 01-03-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drail
My service and repair manual has the ED Manual with it. what year is your RG?
The Electrical Diagnostics portion of the Service Manual is very basic compared to the true Electrical Diagnostics manual. The Electrical manual is an additional four hundred pages or so.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If we could choose between an old EFI module as a roadside repair / backup part and the ED manual, I would pick the bullet proof EFI that allows me to drive home

I have the 2010 Touring Service Manual (99483-10) and most sensors we use are common to those of the automobile industry. These things can only be repaired by a few semiconductor technicians out there.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
Tourer
Talking

Originally Posted by Expat1
If we could choose between an old EFI module as a roadside repair / backup part and the ED manual, I would pick the bullet proof EFI that allows me to drive home

I have the 2010 Touring Service Manual (99483-10) and most sensors we use are common to those of the automobile industry. These things can only be repaired by a few semiconductor technicians out there.
Sorry but you lost me there, bike is in the garage not the road. plus by me working on my bike saves my lots of money.

Last edited by WRKD4ITFLHX2008; 01-03-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I got the SM, EDM and Parts manual. The service manual tell you how to fix it, the parts tells you what part you need but I have found the value there is the exploded drawings of exactly how everything fits together. The EDm I bought because I could and thought it might be good info. I still got the SM and PM for the bike I traded. Don;t know why, I just kept it.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep what he said.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by WRKD4ITFLHX2008
I watched Youtube, they showed a guy r/r his stator. just like to see torque values and other info to do this repair. Reference to go back and make sure my bike is good to go. Oh yeah the proper tools needed to make the job easy. Not having the right tools make wrenching hell.
Then the service manual is what will show the torque specs and sequences, the EDM will not.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but you lost me there, bike is in the garage not the road. plus by me working on my bike saves my lots of money.
Hi WRKD4ITFLHX2008,
I'm also interested in saving big $$ and my effort
I worked close to the semiconductor research field and by experience I know there is practically nothing we can do to repair our EFI module or its sensors. I'm planning long trips with my bike where I may not have assistance other than my own limited knowledge. If I had a carburettor I'd be more than happy and relaxed at the though of a roadside intervention. Any minor mechanical issue is time consuming when we have the proper tools; EFI electronics need condition simulation software to do a reliable job and this is way out of our reach

Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
Tourer

Originally Posted by Expat1
Hi WRKD4ITFLHX2008,
I'm also interested in saving big $$ and my effort
I worked close to the semiconductor research field and by experience I know there is practically nothing we can do to repair our EFI module or its sensors. I'm planning long trips with my bike where I may not have assistance other than my own limited knowledge. If I had a carburettor I'd be more than happy and relaxed at the though of a roadside intervention. Any minor mechanical issue is time consuming when we have the proper tools; EFI electronics need condition simulation software to do a reliable job and this is way out of our reach
Thanks but I just to swap out my stator in my bike that the HD shop installed. There is a banging noise comming from the primary. I hear the SE stator will or might stop the issue. The HD service manueal dont cover how to remove and replace the stator. From the video i seen on youtube its very simple But the bike was a older bike mine is a 08. Id like reference and torque values and any other info to make the work easy. Im also buying all tools for what ever work I am going to do now and in the future. Im very mechanically and have the techanical skill to work on my bike.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Thanks but I just to swap out my stator in my bike that the HD shop installed. There is a banging noise comming from the primary. I hear the SE stator will or might stop the issue. The HD service manueal dont cover how to remove and replace the stator. From the video i seen on youtube its very simple But the bike was a older bike mine is a 08. Id like reference and torque values and any other info to make the work easy. Im also buying all tools for what ever work I am going to do now and in the future. Im very mechanically and have the techanical skill to work on my bike.
Okay, now you have me totally confused. Are you wanting to install the SE compensator? Or are you talking about the stator? Two different things, both of which would be beneficial to have a service manual, not an EDM. The SE compensator comes with an instruction sheet as well.

Quick Reply: Electrical Diagnostic Manual