Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calibrating speedo with PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Calibrating speedo with PCV?

My speedo on an 07 reads an indicated 62 @ 60 MPH, actual speed by GPS. I see where there is a calibration function on a PC V but according to what i'm reading in the instructions, the bike has to be on a dyno and running to do this. Seems i could jack up the bike, strap it down and set it that way since i know for sure how much the speedo is off. I mean set speed to 62 and enter values to bring it back down to 60? Am i reading this right?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you brought this up as mine is off by 2 or so MPH according to my GPS.

I went and looked at the instruction for the PCV and it looks like you are correct. It does say you need to be going at least 30 mph.

I guess you would set the software for a target speed of say 50 mph and run the engine up to 52 using the cruise control. Once the speedometer is reading 52 steady, hit the ok button on the software and it should now show 50. As long as your bike doesn't fall off the stand that should work.

I have the Harley centerstand on my bike that I can adjust to get the rear wheel off the ground. I would have someone stand in front of the bike holding it back on the stand to keep it from coming off.

Let me know after you try it and I will do mine

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

The speed calibration in the PC-V software is for calibrating a speed input channel if you would like to configure fuel +/- changes based on vehicle speed such as on a Japanese bike with ram air, it will not adjust your speedometer.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
bosco 09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is a good quality GPS more accurate than a factory speedometer? my guess would be no.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a baker 6 speed conversion on my 99 RK (5 speed stock tranny case). Either in the manual or in the literature from baker it states that Harley Speedometer is set 2 mph above actual speed at the factory. I can only guess it's for safety? Had to purchase the speedometer recalibration unit to reset speed for the new gear set.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
PTAG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The speed calibration in the PC-V software is for calibrating a speed input channel if you would like to configure fuel +/- changes based on vehicle speed such as on a Japanese bike with ram air, it will not adjust your speedometer.
You just burst our bubble It would be cool if they could somehow build that in.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Oh well, guess i got an answer. Might as well live with 2 mph off speedo.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM
PTAG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Oh well, guess i got an answer. Might as well live with 2 mph off speedo.
I do think there are a couple of companies that make a device to correct the speedo. I think Dakota Digital has one but I'll just contine to watch the GPS.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PTAG

...As long as your bike doesn't fall off the stand that should work.

I have the Harley centerstand on my bike that I can adjust to get the rear wheel off the ground. I would have someone stand in front of the bike holding it back on the stand to keep it from coming off.

Let me know after you try it and I will do mine
I believe the dyno machines have the rear wheel in contact with a device which provides some resistance. I don't believe you will be able to control the speed well enough with a free running wheel to keep it at any specific speed for any length of time. And Baker sells a Speedometeer Recalibration Module for around $100.00. I'm sure there are others, but for the 2 mile difference it may not be an economical solution.