Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand grip install problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM
VARDR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand grip install problem

Well I installed new HD grips on my 09 FLHX. There didn't seem to be any issues and it was relatively an easy install. Started the bike and all was well until I noticed i had no head lights. Did a little trouble shooting and found that I had blown the fuse. Replaced fuse. Loosened the clamps on the left side and it looked like I might have pinched some of the wires, did not see any bare wires, but it is very tight in there so I couldn't see all the wires. Anyway, moved them out of the way of the clamp, tightened the clamp back down and headlights are good to go. Question is.....do you all think the wires will be OK or do I need to figure out where I caused a short and fix? What do you think..

thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say you probably found the problem.

Don't "over think" it. It seemed to be a pinched wire.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
VARDR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Skulmn
I would say you probably found the problem.

Don't "over think" it. It seemed to be a pinched wire.
Thanks, I am 100% sure it was a pinched wire, but wondering if the pinched wire needs any repair or can I assume now that it is not pinched, it will be good to go.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was imediately after you tightened the clamp down you probable just pinched the wires. They have to fit in the groove. If you had put some miles on and this happend again then I would open the clamp up and look for bare wire.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:55 AM
jeffs900s
Intermediate

Well, I'll be the first to offer another opinion... If it were my bike, I'd take the clamp apart and fix the wire. Simply pinching the wire will not stop the flow of electricity like water through a garden hose. The reason that the fuse blew is because you pinched through the insulation and the core of the wire contacted the metal of the bars, or the clamp. It might never touch in that exact spot again, but Murphy's Law would tell me that when it does happen it will be at 75 miles an hour on a dark road. A few minutes now could save you a lot of hassle later on. YMMV.