Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken inner fairing mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:40 PM
fryeca
Tourer
Default RE: Broken inner fairing mounts

Yota:

Hold onto the fairing from the front of the bike at the farthest points horizontal and try to move the fairing towards and away from you, if the brackets are in good shape and doing their job there will be very little movement.

You should only have to apply about five to ten pounds of force to notice any movement.

The upper (Vertical) brackets are are pretty easy to do a quick diagnosis since there will be quite a bit more movenment if broken and if the horizontal brackets are broken you will have more movement near the mirrors.

Easiest way is to just remove the fairing, very simple operation, remember to leave the upper middle screw in but loosen and remove last (windshield), and when installing the fairing install this same screw first and ONLY tighten all screws when you have started all of them.

< Message edited by fryeca -- 1/4/2007 7:38:01 PM >

Old 03-29-2007 | 02:17 PM
yota
Cruiser

Am I to assume each spot that has a screw also has a bracket the screw goes into aside from up top on windshield..I guess my question does anyone have pics..How many brackets is there.

Old 03-29-2007 | 02:40 PM
st john
Road Master

Just to let you know I have had to replace the right bracket twice and the left once
in the 7 years I have had my 2000 Electraglide. Note: People on this site knows that
I am not mechanically inclined at all but This was very easy to do. I just don't know
if anyone makes a stronger aftermarket one at $15 I just keep buying Harley one.
Saint

Old 03-29-2007 | 04:13 PM
Hawkeye
Advanced

Yup. Had that happen on my '02 FLHT. Went behind the fairing in search of a short and found FOUR of them broken. Fairing was being held on by the wiring harness!

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 03-29-2007 | 04:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jbhawley

OOPS...looks like the auction on ebay is over and the website doesnt show a listing for the SS bracket. I have emailed the seller to inquire about more brackets.
Ask them if they'd consider a quantity discount for folks on this forum.

Old 03-29-2007 | 05:00 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I broke them twice, and was complaining about it... Got all four from a buddy, I cannot remember where he got them, but they are machined. Needless to say I am still buying him beer in return... I think he said that 4 of them cost him about $30. He bought three sets two years ago, and is still on the first set that he bought.

Mine are not stainless, but about twice as thick as stock. I broke all four stock style ones twice. I have to think that a little bit of engineering by the MOCO could solve this problem, and as an added bonus, the CD player is less skippy. I will try and find out where the ones I was given were made, and post information.

Old 04-01-2010 | 08:18 PM
oldbiker771
Tourer

Ive been noticing that the left side of my fairing seems to be vibrating more than usual, but didnt give it any thought. Gonna take it apart this weekend and see. We have some good local metalworkers, so if theyre broke Im gonna get a full set of replacements plus one and have somebody use that one as a pattern. I guess fairing brackets as well as camshaft parts should be considered normal maintenance items.

Old 04-03-2010 | 05:49 PM
oldbiker771
Tourer

Sure Nuff, both the large black bracket and small cadmium plated one were broken on the left side, right at the outer bends. Harvey Johnson didnt have any in stock so I took them off (clutch cable runs right through the big one) and took them to a real welder, rather than just a guy who owns a welder (like me.) He welded the snot out of them, including reinforcements, for $35. The black one alone was quoted to me as 64 by HD. Now I am sure my top end will be increased by 10 mph, and chicks will dig me. Well, at least the fairing wont shake anymore. Good thread, thanks.

Old 04-03-2010 | 07:14 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

I replaced one or more brackets on my '07 SG six times in 40K miles. Called the MoCo after about the third time and was informed that they were not aware of any recurring problems with the farining brackets. I told the customer service lady that if there was no problem then why....
1. did mine keep breaking?
2. did every dealer (at least 6) that I talked to had 4 or more of each bracket in stock?
3. did I get over 60 responses on this very forum in LESS than 4 hours when I posted a thread asking if anyone else had experienced this same problem.
Told her that surely one of their high paid engineers could build a better mouse trap.
Low and behold the last time I had to replace a bracket (summer of '09) they had redesigned the brackets. Hmmmmmmmmm..........if there was "no known problems" then why redesign the dang thing???

Last edited by dirtracin23; 04-03-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2010 | 07:23 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I am wondering if the bracket doesn't break .... does the fairing???

Quick Reply: Broken inner fairing mounts