Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009 | 12:27 PM
peddler
|
Club Member
Default Saddlebag Brackets

Last week during a 250 mile ride on Tuesday I discovered my right saddlebag was loose. Upon opening the saddlebag I found the locking pin at the bottom of the saddlebag. I replaced the locking pin and while the bag was much more secure it still didn't feel as ridgid as I would expect.

The graphic below is from page 2-115 of the 2007 HD service manual showing the orientation of the front saddlebag bracket. The orientation of the bracket in the inset picture is what I found when I removed my right saddlebag after returning home. Two questions:

1. Has anyone else found their front saddlebag bracket to be oriented like the insert picture?

2. Is there any reason to believe the bracket oriented like the one in the inset picture would not work as well?

I changed mine to correspond to the picture in the manual but was just curious as to what others have found and their opinions.

Attached Thumbnails Saddlebag Brackets-scan0005r2copy.jpg  

Last edited by peddler; 09-21-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2009 | 12:46 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

Orientation is adjustable in order to get the pins inserted and locked tight without misalignment.

Old 09-21-2009 | 12:55 PM
peddler
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
Orientation is adjustable in order to get the pins inserted and locked tight without misalignment.
I 100% agree with you. However, in this case the front bracket can be aligned with the hole in the saddlebag allowing the pin to be successfully installed in either orientation; What I would refer to as "horizontal" orientation in the HD manual picture or "vertical" orientation as shown in the insert picture I added.

Just curious if anyone else has found the "alternate orientation" (insert picture) on their bikes and what their thoughts would be relative to any difference in functionality/performance.

Last edited by peddler; 09-21-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:13 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

When I picked up my scoot new, all the brackets were all at different angles. When I took mine off to install my detachable hardware I snugged up the brackets and installed the bags. I then moved the brackets into the best position and tightened them up. The manual is just a guide. final adjustment is different for every bike.

Old 09-21-2009 | 01:14 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

I think you might be putting too much thought in it, it's just a bracket and a "keeper" pin. Here is my suggestion:
Loosen the brackets enough so they can be moved.
Place the saddlebag so it is seated correctly on the bottom rail.
Maneuver the brackets so they line up with the holes in the bags.
Lock the pins through the hole and into the brackets.
Tighten the brackets up.
Close your saddlebag lid and ride.

On mine, they are not vertical or horizontal, more like at an angle would be the best description.

Old 09-21-2009 | 01:18 PM
swomack
Road Master

The brackets have to be adjusted to fit with the bags. If you're not careful you wind up with the bags touching or rubbing the side covers. My bags were put on in a hurry at my 1k service and one of them rubbed the paint completely off on both the bag and the side cover. Mine are on an angle to keep them as far as possible from the side covers.

Old 09-21-2009 | 01:21 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior

Peddler,

If you look at the inset picture closely, the entire bracket has been rotated clockwise, as can be seen by looking at the permanent attachment point to the bike. It seems to be a screw up by the publisher, to me at least. Mine front brackets are canted at around 45 degrees on each side,and the rears are canted a little less (I can take pics if you want).

I'd loosen the main bolts, attach your bags via the pins so that the bags are sitting all the way down on the rails, and then tighten the bolts. The back underside of the bags, the 'L' sections, should be centered first on the rail. You might have to loosen both front and rear brackets to get a fresh start so as to not put stress on the bag holes. (did that make sense???) Just my thoughts!!

Last edited by Yachtman; 09-21-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:58 PM
SG Mike
Road Master

On the inside of your bag there should be a washer that goes between the pin and the rubber gasket. If it's not there then that probably your problem. I had all kinds of problems with my bags damn near falling off until I figured out what the problem was.

Old 09-21-2009 | 02:31 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I thought the whole pin setup was wierd and I didn't want to take a chance of my bags falling off. I got some bolts and plastic lined keeper nuts, all in stainless steel. Then I dremeled the old spring wires out of the connectors, ran the bolt through just like the old pins and bolted them on. They aren't going anywhere now.

Old 09-21-2009 | 03:24 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

Also have a close look at the pins, I have seen the little tang at the end of the pin get bent slightly, this will allow the bag to not be fastened securely, Good luck.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Brackets