Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lashing down older Ultra w/ air front forks

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Tgreif
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lashing down older Ultra w/ air front forks

My 95 Ultra has air loaded front and rear suspension. I'm going to take it from Chicago to Florida this January in the back of my Silverado. Have a latching front chock that'll be mounted in the bed and was wondering how much I should compress the front forks with the air suspension without worrying about any damage to the suspension seals.

The trailering thread below was very informative, but nobody mentioned air front forks in the discussion.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 AM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tgreif
My 95 Ultra has air loaded front and rear suspension. I'm going to take it from Chicago to Florida this January in the back of my Silverado. Have a latching front chock that'll be mounted in the bed and was wondering how much I should compress the front forks with the air suspension without worrying about any damage to the suspension seals.
Air or not, fully compressing any suspension risks blowing seals (insert penguin joke here). On the occasion I have to haul I stick a piece of 4x4 with a 1" shim under the frame crossmember and pull down tight to that. Everything's pulled down tight and neither the forks or shocks are totally compressed.

TL

Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Tgreif
6th Gear

Thanks, but for some reason, I always thought you were supposed to leave some travel in the suspension to let the bike move a bit and absorb some of the up/down forces on the road.