Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi trailer ran us off the road today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TN Houndog
I drove semis 30 years and am getting REALLY tired of trying to apologize for the POS MOST of the big name companys are putting behind the wheel! 95% of the drivers on the road today wouldn't even have gotten an application back when I started. Back then you spent 1 year as a co driver and got 4 seasons of experience before they turned you loose! NO exceptions! Nowdays they go to Guatamalia, Honduras and Mexico to recruit driver trainees, send them to a 6 week school and turn them loose! You can't even learn to properly change gears in that length of time let alone drive! I'm sure most of the for real truck drivers on here will back up that statement. In short, I'm sorry you had that experience. Be VERY careful around semis this day and time! MOST of the idiots behind the wheel don't have a clue what's going on.

BYW: I drove 4 million miles accident free and most of that was with hazmat tankers and OD heavy equipment loads.

Yup...

Most of the 'drivers' now couldn't get a job lumpin' freight back in the day.
Automatic transmissions, electronic logs, wireless headsets..and GPS units...
To borrow a line from another member...
"The wussification of the American Trucker is complete."

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Glad all are ok except for needing new BVD's!!!!!!!!

Many here have heard me tell about on 07-17-07 tht I was ran off by a semi as well. I took 12K damage to the scoot and 6 broke ribs to me. Walked away for the most part and did not go to the hospital till 6 hrs later, after I got the scoot back home in tha garage and taken care of.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondChance!!
Glad all are ok except for needing new BVD's!!!!!!!!

Many here have heard me tell about on 07-17-07 tht I was ran off by a semi as well. I took 12K damage to the scoot and 6 broke ribs to me. Walked away for the most part and did not go to the hospital till 6 hrs later, after I got the scoot back home in tha garage and taken care of.
Oh man! I'm glad you came out of it OK. I'll have to do a search and read your post. It was an eye opening experience for me that's for sure.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 PM
CroK
Banned

I had a '68 Triumph Bonneville with chopper frame. The header pipes stuck out to the side a bit more than any part of the frame... Going down 4 lane highway in town, a lady in compact was in right lane with what seemed to be her right blinker on. I went over into left lane to ease on past her while she made her right turn. She was actually turning left with no signal or brake light on left side of vehicle. When I came along side her on her left, she made the left hand turn and my right header pipe got stuck under her fender well. She didn't even notice me stuck to her car! I began banging on her trunk deck and yelling for her to stop. Finally after a few seconds that seemed like forever, she slowed to a stop. No harm other than pulling the header pipe away from it's mount. She was apologetic, and I wasn't hurt so all ended ok. People are just oblivious to their surroundings when caged in on all sides. I have found my self doing really dumb things without seeing what I know I should have seen.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your boonie bashing on an HD came out ok. I never mess around when passing any vehicle on the superslab. If I need to kick it up to 100 or more to get around them, I'll do it. dosen't matter if I'm in my dually or on the glide. I will not "hang out" alongside a semi, motorhome, pickup or even a lowly hyundai.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice job keeping it upright.

This weekend I was on a two lane road (one each direction), wife on the back. Suddenly off in the distance I see headlights in the opposite lane, as well as my lane. I'm doing 70 and qucikly slow down to 35, the clown still coming right at me. He's trying to pass 6 cars at once. One of the cars he was passing saw what was happening and slowed down real fast to cause a gap so the idiot could pull back in. Scared the crap out of us.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Whackone
Glad your boonie bashing on an HD came out ok. I never mess around when passing any vehicle on the superslab. If I need to kick it up to 100 or more to get around them, I'll do it. dosen't matter if I'm in my dually or on the glide. I will not "hang out" alongside a semi, motorhome, pickup or even a lowly hyundai.

I've gotten in the habit of (not always but lot's of times) keeping my thumb hovering over the horn button as I pass.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 PM
stamper5498
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SoFla
I've gotten in the habit of (not always but lot's of times) keeping my thumb hovering over the horn button as I pass.
YUP YUP, tried this a couple times, turned the left turn signal and didn't scare the dog one little bit. LOL

Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stamper5498
YUP YUP, tried this a couple times, turned the left turn signal and didn't scare the dog one little bit. LOL

HAte to say how many times I hav ehit the horn instead of the left turn signal and scare myself....

Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by SoFla
HAte to say how many times I hav ehit the horn instead of the left turn signal and scare myself....
And I thought I was the only one to do that!

Quick Reply: Semi trailer ran us off the road today!