Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi trailer ran us off the road today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:47 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

TN Houndog makes some good points, but there's another group out there driving big rigs that haven't had any training at all, and that's the retired geezers in their huge motor homes, many of them also pulling cars or car caddies. On our recent trip out in the mountains, we had one in Montana pass us in our own lane, going uphill on a fourlane, and another just about take us out in a gas station parking lot when he turned wide to line up with the pumps.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Ranger, Glad you and your lady are alive and safe. I know the feeling since I almost got ran over last August traveling down on I-81 heading for Pigeon Forge, TN. I was on the left lane half way of the whole semi as he didn't recognize me where I saw his head bobbing around in the mirror then he decides to change. Whoaaaa, I went, braked slightly to my very left on shoulder by letting him go. I sped up, caught him talking on the phone then that's when my lady and I flipped our birds. He didn't care, kept on driving and chatted on the phone.

Thorey

Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
Depending on the state, most trucks/semis are not allowed in the left lane and are restricted to the right lane only.

Also people on the interstate, are not supposed to move over to allow traffic to merge. Merging traffic is supposed to yield the right of way. I drive a truck for a living and I try to move over if iut does not mean I will disrupt the flow of traffic in the show off lanes. If my moving over is going to disrupt the flow of traffic in the show off lanes/ hammer lanes, then I will not move over. That does not mean I am going to back out of it to let traffic merge infront of me.
In CA, trucks can go in the passing lane to pass a slower vehicle, and the vehicle already on the Hwy. yields to the oncoming vehicle. So I guess the laws may differ from State to State.
To the OP, whew, glad you made out OK.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has happened to me more times than I care to remember, thank God you guys are safe. You took the right action going into the median and STAYING OFF the BRAKES. My wife won't ride anymore because of too many incidents like that. I never follow to close to the big trucks anymore because of them losing tire treads (another story). When I come up on trucks I stay way over to the left and try to see the driver in his mirrors and pass VERY quickly.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Ya done good. If that had happened to me I don't think my wife would get back on for quite a while. Glad you are ok.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Gigantor
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by street_glider
First - Ranger, I'm glad you guys are all right!

Gigantor - Please explain why in the hell do truckers seem uncontrollably compelled to pass each other doing 1/8 to 1 mph faster than the truck in front of them? Why not just stay the F#$k in line. Is that whole 1 mph worth it? Even over a day or week; its squat.

Is this just a way to screw with people? It seems when approuching from behind, i can see trucks following each other, no problems. Then as soon as you get within 100 yards they turn into NASCAR drivers. I think this is the cause of a lot of this kind of close calls.
couple things, common sense and courtesy cannot be taught, you either have it or you dont. also, throwing all truck drivers into one category is like throwing all motorcycle riders into the same category as the daredevil punk popping wheelies in traffic.

most truckers are paid by the mile so sitting behind someone putting along takes money out of their pocket and keeps them away from home longer. another reason is that you come upon a truck going slower so you pull out to pass and the guy in the left lane either wakes up or hits his power band and youre stuck out there with 2 options, ride it out and pass them or slow down again and get behind, possibly having to deal with this situation all over again. i know there are jerk truck drivers out there, i deal with them everyday. most truck drivers just want to get from point a to b as safe and quickly as they can...thats what makes the money. stay safe. and yes, im glad the OP and his wife are ok too.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are OK...

This is one of the reasons I rarely ride the interstates...It's always about the trucks...Poorly maintained with their re-treads on the road, and now too many of the ******** talking on cell phones instead of CB's.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you made it through and right side up...good job......

Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I taught my wife when she started ride. "avoid big rigs like the plague" Do not follow closely, try and stay in their tire tracks, when passing them "PASS" do not linger next to them.
Also maybe someone can answer why when someone in a cage going the speed limit (or more), that some truckers feel compelled to get two or three feet off their back bumper to try and speed them up. If for any reason the cage driver should even just lift off the gas it would be the end. I see this all the time while traveling back and forth to Fla

Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you're OK, but remember a big rig has a blind spot big enough to hide an F250.

Quick Reply: Semi trailer ran us off the road today!