Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hmmm

I lost both front wheel bearings at 55,000 kM on my 09 Ultra Classic.

I was just reading on the US H_D site the wheel bearings are "guaranteed" for 100,000 miles. They must of done something to the bearings or found a different supplier. They mention the guarantee on the web-site which make me suspect they have or had a problem with wheel bearings.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I'm pretty sure HD is your only choice for the ABS bearing.
Just replaced all 4 bearings on rear wheel and sprocket pulley with All *****, and they do stock ABS bearings as well

Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IrishHogtrotter
Just replaced all 4 bearings on rear wheel and sprocket pulley with All *****, and they do stock ABS bearings as well
For what bike were these? Would you happen to have the bearing part numbers? They may be on the receipt.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

2008 electra glide (abs model) http://www.jpcycles.com/harley-touri...wheel-hardware

Ring them and tell them whether it's for abs or non-abs

Old 09-04-2016, 10:44 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,612 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
this morning I pulled the wheel and using a long punch with the edge ground to an angle I was able to push both bearings out of the wheel new bearings I used a socket that fit the edge of the bearing and tapped them in wheel is back together and test rode it and all seems good but I guess only miles will tell
thanks for all the suggestions Ian
My Dad worked on truck axles the very same way, old school mechanics.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:24 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
this morning I pulled the wheel and using a long punch with the edge ground to an angle I was able to push both bearings out of the wheel new bearings I used a socket that fit the edge of the bearing and tapped them in wheel is back together and test rode it and all seems good but I guess only miles will tell
thanks for all the suggestions Ian
if you are installing these bearings this way, you are killing them early. there is a specfic way to remove them and install them with the correct tool. you are most likely side loading the bearings and ruining your wheel bores are the same time. buy the correct tool for the job. it does require some feeling to get the bearings in right, but well worth it.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Quiet Thunder
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n.o.yat
mine went out at about ten thousand miles. i replaced them myself w/ a homade puller. if you replace them youself, put the new bearings in your freezer, it will make it easier to put them in . believe me it works.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:01 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I would like to give you something for free to use. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................

Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
if you are installing these bearings this way, you are killing them early. there is a specfic way to remove them and install them with the correct tool. you are most likely side loading the bearings and ruining your wheel bores are the same time. buy the correct tool for the job. it does require some feeling to get the bearings in right, but well worth it.

Is there really a problem here if the socket is sized and pushing on the outer race. I've done this for a long time without any problems. Really shouldn't be any side load if pushing is done on outer race as I see it.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:24 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,612 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Is there really a problem here if the socket is sized and pushing on the outer race. I've done this for a long time without any problems. Really shouldn't be any side load if pushing is done on outer race as I see it.
I seen it done a million times, unless the races and housings are made of tin I wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing failure