Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Angry dammit

Originally Posted by IrishHogtrotter
Yup, just had an 09 Electra Glide cook it's front wheel bearing. At 5k miles and having read this thread, it's definately in need of a recall.

Happened at 70mph in a corner (not a nice experience!!!!). Bars started to judder like i had a front wheel puncture, and then lost all steering control.

Thankfully no oncoming traffic, otherwise I might not be writing this!
Rear ones have gone the same way at 10k miles. Luckily this time I spotted it during a tire replacement. Come on MOCO, call them all back in and get it sorted.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 151 Posts

The SKF part # is 6205-2RS1, OD is 52mm, ID is 25mm, width is 15mm, it's a pretty widely used bearing so most bearing supply houses should carry it. I got mine from USA bearings & belts, they have a listing on ebay, less than half than HD & a quality bearing. My SKF bearings were made in France, a lot better than Chinese crap.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks bud, I will use that make this time around on the left hand side. Do they make one for with the abs magnetic pick up, or I am stuck to using the OE junk on the right?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

I'm pretty sure HD is your only choice for the ABS bearing.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:28 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

My 12 Ultra LTD will be my last Harley, after the 4 bearing failures and 3 compensator s on my 09 Ultra, and with the regulator going out on this bike in the middle of a Arizona trip with 3K miles on the bike I am done with Harley's. Since getting back I got a Busa, and two Triumphs. My next touring bike will be a Gold Wing, Victory, Connie, or the new Triumph, in a few years. Unfortunately I have lost confidence in Harley to get the basics right, if they were trying new technology out and had issues I would understand but wheel bearings compensators, and regulators are basic items that have been fully developed. Flame away, but I am done.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

Cya!!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
cek
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 Ultra with 50k on third set of frt wheel bearings....I have 04 RKing also with 70k still has orginal frt bearings. Quanity control at HD is missing the boat!!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

I don't disagree with anyone that this shouldn't be happening, but sometimes you have to try & find a solution yourself, that's what this forum is all about. Since MOCO doesn't see fit to step up & source a quality bearing, you need to find your own. It's a common bearing that all the major bearing producers make, I've found SKF, F.A.G., & others by calling a few bearing suppliers. I agree that the bean counters at MOCO have really hurt the company by taking low bids on parts before they find out if the quality is there, the regulators is just the latest example. We can only hope that they see the light before they completely ruin the MOCO's reputation & run it into the ground like the AMF days. The biggest problem with forums is you hear about the lessor % of people who have problems because all the people who don't have a problem don't have a reason to speak up. It's still a great bike & you can't find the same camaraderie with any other brand, so let's hope they don't completely F it up.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM
pdzani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 Ultra had front wheel bearing failure on Trail Ridge Road is Estes Park Colorado, had to be taken home on a trailer, had 32K on the bike at that time. I now have 40K on the bike and about to take off on a 4K trip, went to get fuel this am and heard a slight growl from the front end, pulled the front tire and sure enough the wheel bearings about to go out again. I am not putting HD bearings back in again, will go to the Indy and get AllBalls bearings installed in am. Glad I caught it before we ended up stuck on the side of the road again with these bearing issues. I have had 6 previous HD's and never had a wheel bearing failure.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we make collars for shafts at work all the time and we heat them with a bearing heater then they slide right on the shaft. We use locktite and when it cools down its like its welded on. Any yes from time to time we freeze stuff to shrink it. That works also.

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing failure