Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Notice most of you have UC's with the front bearings going bad, I have a RK and notice a funny grinding, honing, sound coming from the front I figured it was from the 407 tire,I am getting this tire replaced under warranty in a few days. I haven't noticed any grease coming from any of the bearings but I think it may be the bearings going bad also. I am wondering what would it take to get a recall on this bearing issue for those of us who are out of warranty. There are just too many going bad and a few of the stories could have ended tragically (i.e. 80mph with a bearing failure). I will have em checked when i take it in for the tire i will repost and let you all know what HD says.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Pacemaker
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't get it, I have a 02 Road King with 80,000 miles on it and still have the original bearings and seem to be fine. Now, my 08 Ultra had the rear bearing replaced at 8000 miles, because they separated when I was on a road trip. At 12,000 miles had the front rotor replaced because it warped. I have 22,000 miles on it now and I am going to check those front bearings before my warranty is up in April 2010. Glad I looked in on this thread thanks everyone.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not an overly paranoid type person, but I'd rather maintain than recover. Know what I mean. So I guess I'll be checking mine real soon. I don't think rain should be of major concern as it's not pressurized, just splash and run off.
I do believe that pressure washing can and will inject water where it shouldn't be. I have not ever pressure washed any wheel bearing on any of mine, and typically just wipe the area with a rag. I have been giving this some thought recently. I figure if I do ever use one, it will be to pre wet and rinse from a safe distance.
My $0.02

Bob

Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
this morning I pulled the wheel and using a long punch with the edge ground to an angle I was able to push both bearings out of the wheel new bearings I used a socket that fit the edge of the bearing and tapped them in wheel is back together and test rode it and all seems good but I guess only miles will tell
thanks for all the suggestions Ian
I wouldnt expect these to last very long, driving them out with a punch will have expanded the ID of the wheel bore as the bearing rocked back and forth and driving them back in with a hammer doesnt support the inner race as it contacts the center spacer. Good luck with them though, at least when they fail again you'll know who to blame!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
I wouldnt expect these to last very long, driving them out with a punch will have expanded the ID of the wheel bore as the bearing rocked back and forth and driving them back in with a hammer doesnt support the inner race as it contacts the center spacer. Good luck with them though, at least when they fail again you'll know who to blame!
Yep, what he said

Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
have about 7500 since i put them in still ok but thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Well you been lucky so far, might be time to buy a lottery ticket.

Definately not a good way to install something your life might depend on though!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You got the "Touch".

I'm thinking you understand the concern.....Mechs need to be careful not to apply pressure on the inner race when pressing a bearing inside a bore and conversely, not to apply pressure to the outer race when pressing brearing on a shaft.

When dealing with HD wheel bearings, you have to consider the inner bearing spacer(sometimes called the crush spacer) and not let it deflect the inner races axially.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well just got the new 408 front tire on and she feels like a new bike. Most of the front end noise went away but i still think the bearing are a bit loud, HD did not suggest replacing em, go figure, its still under warranty. I will just have to keep an eye on it.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I had my '08 Ultra on the jack to replace the rear tire, my neighbor gave the front wheel a spin and noticed the front bearings are out on my bike. I really didn't see this one coming. I think this is a problem that probably should have been a recall, but of course that won't be happening! Only 12k miles. This is the first real problem that I'm unhappy about.

I'm off to the dealership tomorrow to get some bearings.

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing failure