Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
1stGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n.o.yat
mine went out at about ten thousand miles. i replaced them myself w/ a homade puller. if you replace them youself, put the new bearings in your freezer, it will make it easier to put them in . believe me it works.
VERY GOOD ADVICE!! Leave them in the freezer overnight.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tlmitchell
If you're only 2 weeks out of warranty give H-D Customer Service a call and cry on their shoulder. They Goodwill an out-of-warranty stator failure for me a few years ago. Ask for what you want... worst they can do is say no.
It's definitely worth a try. I had my mainshaft bearing replaced in warranty 10 months after expiration.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:15 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

no humming noise just felt a wobble at slow sped felt like a tire going flat picking up speed produced a heavy vibration in the faring and handlbars

Attached Thumbnails front wheel bearing failure-dsci0028.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
Was out today on my 08 ultra and the left front bearing failed bike has 15,000 any tricks for removing the old and pressing a new one in manual says use their puller and installer but putting it in looks like a threaded rod and some washers out of warranty by 2 weeks it figures
Thanks Ian
Buy the bearings from HD and get them or an Indy to swap them out. There is an order of in and out and ABS bearings are different than non ABS.

IBHarley
Road Master

this morning I pulled the wheel and using a long punch with the edge ground to an angle I was able to push both bearings out of the wheel new bearings I used a socket that fit the edge of the bearing and tapped them in wheel is back together and test rode it and all seems good but I guess only miles will tell
thanks for all the suggestions Ian

Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you guys pressure wash your bikes?

Lack of lube is all I can see that would kill a bearing so fast. Pressure washers are hard on bearings.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by bdp
Buy the bearings from HD and get them or an Indy to swap them out. There is an order of in and out and ABS bearings are different than non ABS.

Followed the manual for primary side first that's the side with the tire valve since I don't have ABS both bearings were the same it all went pretty smooth and is now done local dealer had the bearings for 19.00 apiece

Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

don't use a pressure washer but it rains a lot down here in south Florida and I'm always getting caught in it these are sealed bearings but I guess not sealed well enough

Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Pressure Washing and S100 ... Keep the Hell away from the Bearings... Putting Bearings in the Freezer is a New One on me... But will keep it in mind makes sense as freezing it would make the OD a little smaller for fitment.. although the Inner Race would also contract a little getting it on the shaft..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 09-21-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Pressure Washing and S100 ... Keep the Hell away from the Bearings... Putting Bearings in the Freezer is a New One on me... But will keep it in mind makes sense as freezing it would make the OD a little smaller for fitment.. although the Inner Race would also contract a little getting it on the shaft..
Correct, heat a bearing in oil for sliding over a shaft. Freeze a bearing to contract for pressing in a hub.

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing failure