Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Compare the OEM with the Sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:00 PM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Compare the OEM with the Sundowner

Is it possible to compare (put into words) the OEM seat with the Sundowner for the King? I hope it is possible to put into words. Is it too much to ask for a dealership to let you try one for 15-30 minutes on the road?

Old 09-20-2009, 03:19 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

For me and my wife both the Sundowner seat sucked. With that said I also bought and returned a Mustang Regal (The shop I bought it from took it back after 5 days)Had my dealer order a hd pillow look which would have worked but it put me too tall in the seat. They took it back. I finally am in the process of rebuilding my stock cause it gave me butt burn after about 50 miles. I am getting my seat real close but I have had it apart about 10 times.
Good Luck
Santa

Old 09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerdj
Is it possible to compare (put into words) the OEM seat with the Sundowner for the King? I hope it is possible to put into words. Is it too much to ask for a dealership to let you try one for 15-30 minutes on the road?

I just got a Sundowner last week for my 09 Ultra Classic. I have had 7 Ultras and the 09 seat is by far the worse excuse for a seat I have ever been on. I couldn't ride more than 1 hour at a time and hated every minute of it. You get the picture.

I just got back from a 300 mile trip with my Sundowner and a Mustang drivers backrest. The seat is perfect for me. I could have easily ridden another 300. I did not get sore at all. I did have the Harley backrest when I first got the seat. I had used it on all the previous Ultras. I did buy the 09 mount for it and sold the backrest last week. The Harley backrest just doesn't work well on the 09 frame.

I am 260 and 5' 10". Different seats work differently for different folks. My wife hasn't ridden on it yet so I don't know what she will think. She just had back surgery so it will be a while.

My dealer let me try it first. I have bought a lot of stuff from them so they are pretty nice to me.

Hope this helps. There are many threads on the Sundowner. Most comments are very positive. Do a search.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced the stock Road King seat with a Sundowner and while it's not perfect it is much more comfortable than the stock seat. My back side and back would start hurting after a 30 min ride with the stock seat.

The Sundowner offers much more lower back support and a more comfortable ride. I'm now good for a couple of hours before I start getting uncomfortable.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

I like mine. I didn't notice much difference but my wife likes the Bitch pad better. The stock BP sucked. I've logged 500 mile days without issue. 6'0" 300#

Old 09-20-2009, 04:14 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Hopefully the dealer will let me do a short road test.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 PM
hdjdh3
6th Gear

Have a Sundowner on an 08 Road King. Used stock for first 5k miles. Couldn't stand it anymore. Do about 50% riding two up, typically 150-200 mile days (we are miles from everywhere). The last 15k with the sundowner, the wife and I love it. I do get a little numb butt if I do two 200 mile days back to back, but other than that its all good. The wife loves the back of it - has a wider pad which she likes.

As far as feel - for the driver its flatter and wider than stock, for the passenger its both taller and wider.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Default hopefullly

Hopefully the short test ride will tell you something. Its usually the longer ride that really gives you the feel. When I bought my 09 SG it felt great at first. Then the miles piled on and my tush just wasn't pleased. there are so many options out there.; high riders, lower riders, long riders (put you back farther) and short riders. Another option is sending your old seat out and getting it refit. I have sat on a few and still haven't decided what i am going to take a chance on first.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 AM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Sundowner and like it.

But BEWARE - If you by one - you should remove the screws that hold on the chrome tab at the rear of the seat - the one you bolt it to the fender with. If you look under neath you'll see two ugly hex head bolts holding it on. These things will gouge the hell out of your fender. Ask me, and about a thousand other people, how we know!

Go with button heads with hex key drives.

I just don't know what the hell HD was thinking.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:00 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racerdj
Is it too much to ask for a dealership to let you try one for 15-30 minutes on the road?
Yes, it is.

What are they supposed to do with the seat when you decide not to buy it after your 30 minute "test drive?" Should they have one of each type seat available to accommodate everyone's interests? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be able to test drive seats before I buy them as well, but I think it's unreasonable to expect a dealer to buy "demo models" for this purpose.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 09-21-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Please Compare the OEM with the Sundowner