Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Compare the OEM with the Sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sundowner works fine for me, throw a sheepskin over for long rides and I am set.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:20 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock Road King seat is not suitable for two up touring. It causes a whine to emanate the rear of the bike and the source of that whine will be your old lady. The Sundowner for the Road King is what you need for this situation. We've toured over 30k miles on our current Sundowner with no complaints from either of us. To enhance the effectiveness of the Sundowner, take one Aleve and stick one Preparation H suppository up your *** before you roll.

Last edited by BadBobOk; 09-22-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
. To enhance the effectiveness of the Sundowner, take one Aleve and stick one Preparation H suppository up your *** before you roll.
OMG That has to be the funniest s*&t I have ever read on here. LOL

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM
88racing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 SG and when the stock seat is on I get an irritating whining noise from the back of the bike. When I switch out to the sundowner for two up riding the noise mysteriously goes away? I like the stock seat for short runs probably cause I am not on it that much. For the long runs with the wife hands down the sundowner gets my vote, we can ride tank to tank all day.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:50 PM
racerdj
Club Member

For me I'm 6-0 and 210. The largest difference is the height of the rise that is the backrest. Measuring the height and trying to get the max reading, I get 3.5" on the OEM while the sundowner is a full 6". This with my adjustable backrest gives me total support and so far feels great. I can't say the seat comfort ignoring the back rest is different. To me the seat is more confortable when considering the bottom and back. I don't have many road miles and will report later. The wife is out of town and I'm sure she will really love the new nest!

Last edited by racerdj; 09-22-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 PM
RedDog382
2nd Gear

I have a Sundowner seat for '08 and later Touring modes HD #52093-08 for with less than 1000 miles on it in the factory box and wrapping for $225. PM if anyone is interested.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Originally Posted by RedDog382
I have a Sundowner seat for '08 and later Touring modes HD #52093-08 for with less than 1000 miles on it in the factory box and wrapping for $225. PM if anyone is interested.
What did you not like with the seat?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 AM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
My Mustang is very firm but i find that with the correct underwear...It works perfect...I wear compression shorts. what a diff on 600 mile days.
You're supposed to wear underwear when you ride? Go figure....

Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
racerdj
Club Member

I was prepared to get several seats before deciding on one. I can say after tonight that the sundowner is one great upgrade. I do feel that the height is the same for me vs. OEM. With the higher seat back, the seat sits like a bucket seat. My adjustable back rest completes the back support. There are several on E-Bay, Craigs List and the classified adds here at reduced prices. Knowing now and experiencing the ride comfort, the seat at full list price is worth it!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
Yes, it is.

What are they supposed to do with the seat when you decide not to buy it after your 30 minute "test drive?" Should they have one of each type seat available to accommodate everyone's interests? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be able to test drive seats before I buy them as well, but I think it's unreasonable to expect a dealer to buy "demo models" for this purpose.
Unreasonable? I think it's unreasonable that they don't! How in the world is a person supposed to tell if a $300-$400 seat is right for them, if they can't try it? Is it going to put them out of business to carry a few "demo" seats? After a few months they can sell them for at least what they paid for them. I didn't buy my riding jacket without trying it on and wearing it around in the store.

Sorry, rant over.

Quick Reply: Please Compare the OEM with the Sundowner