Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up new 2009 FLHR Road King - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 AM
Craig from Australia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up new 2009 FLHR Road King - Help?

Picked up my new 2009 FLHR RoadKing yesterday from Harley Heaven Adelaide Australia. Got the black with passenger backrest and V&H Monster Ovals with black tips. Will get pics up soon. Went for first ride today - only 100kms - beautiful bike. Handling is excellent - far better and less jaring compared to my previous bikes 2005 Honda VTX 1800 and 2000 Harley Heritage Softail - brakes are terrific and clutch seems so light - i was even impressed with the 6 speed gearbox changed without clunking of previous bikes. However one BIG fault - those ruddy handle bars - i lean forward and down - top of back/ bottom of neck was hurting after the ride - and my bum was sore - the seat looks great but felt i needed to be back further - im 6 feet (183cms) tall and 110kilos. Anyone have similar problems with handlebars and seat - dont want to really have to spend more $ after just taking delivery. Any suggestions appreciated.
Add Reply

Old 09-20-2009, 06:14 AM
nosillyname
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Craig from Australia
Picked up my new 2009 FLHR RoadKing yesterday from Harley Heaven Adelaide Australia. Got the black with passenger backrest and V&H Monster Ovals with black tips. Will get pics up soon. Went for first ride today - only 100kms - beautiful bike. Handling is excellent - far better and less jaring compared to my previous bikes 2005 Honda VTX 1800 and 2000 Harley Heritage Softail - brakes are terrific and clutch seems so light - i was even impressed with the 6 speed gearbox changed without clunking of previous bikes. However one BIG fault - those ruddy handle bars - i lean forward and down - top of back/ bottom of neck was hurting after the ride - and my bum was sore - the seat looks great but felt i needed to be back further - im 6 feet (183cms) tall and 110kilos. Anyone have similar problems with handlebars and seat - dont want to really have to spend more $ after just taking delivery. Any suggestions appreciated.
Add Reply
Craig its a very common complaint - and if you used the search tool you would probably find heaps of threads...... One popular solution used to be putting stock Heritage Classic bars on which meant the bars were higher and closer..... Some put apes or mini apes..... Some others will chime in soon too.
Congrats on the new bike!! - BTW did you get any of those extras you mentioned thrown in with the deal?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 AM
rooshooter
Novice

hey craig
sundowner seat made a huge difference on my 09 electraglide and am just ordering chubby 575 handlebars also
the new seat on the 09s suck and the standard bars always make ya lean forward about 2" too much
cheers
pat from oz

Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 AM
spiker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a common problem,I put Heritage Style bars on mine and it worked out great.Congratulations on your new bike,I think the 09 is a better purchase than the 10's because of the cat. on the 10's

Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spending $ after taking delivery is what ownership is all about.

The forward n upright thing is remedied with the Brawler solo, but comfort is def not improved. Give the bars a chance, I hated them when I went from my modded 1997 to the stock bars on the 09, but I got used to them and I really like them now. 100ks aint enough to judge, I had my 09 for 10 days and then rode to Brissie and back with a few detours, about 4500km total. After that I knew her and trusted her and I liked the bars, the brakes and the handling. All she needed was more grunt....

If you do decide to change bars be prepared for a run around, I tried to organise bars before I took delivery and no one had them here in aus to suit the e throttle, that was a few months ago now. Thats how I ended up with the stock bars and now I dont want or need to change.

Spiker: Aussie bikes are all HDI spec and have cats, unfortunately...

Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Yep heritage bars best $50 I spent on my RKC, you will like about the same size as me.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Sketz
Cruiser

I replaced the stock bars on my 08 RK with the Heritage bars - fit just right, about 2" pullback from original. Harley P/N 56569-86 (Stock Heritage) or 56623-99 (chrome). No wiring changes needed - sit back and enjoy the ride!
Also, do a search using the key word "Heritage Bars" and you'll find a multitude of information from other riders on just this subject. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 AM
racerdj
Club Member

Nice choice for your bike!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:16 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are the Heritage type handlebars built for the Road King. They make a big difference from the stock and let you sit up straight instead of leaning forward like a jockey.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 AM
les63
Tourer

Yep same problem here, changed to heritage style bars #56902-08 made for the FLHR, as you have TBW this is the harley bar you need, no wire or cable
changes needed.

Quick Reply: Picked up new 2009 FLHR Road King - Help?