Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Learned about Trailering!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Bamayankee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front wheel in a chock ....... front straps on frame at the crossmember. Also straps on the floorboards for forward & aft restraint (total of 6 straps).

Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Woody4358
Stage III

I agree on not using the handlebars to tie down. Trailered RK to Florida in March, rode up & down the coast for several days, when I was pulling bike on trailer for trip home my bars fell into my lap!!! I will be using a different method from now on.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

After rereading my post, I honestly can't see where I said anything that should have offended anyone. If someone wants to trailer a bike that is fine with me.I was curious as to why anyone would trailer a touring bike. I can see trailering a sportster,a dyna or any less equipped motorcycle for several hundred miles to a destination to ride and enjoy. I was not asking to Pi$$ anyone off,or to be a troll. I was honestly asking why anyone would want to load and secure such a heavy bike with very few tie down points. It would seem like a hassle to tie one down and worry with it falling over,plus the decreased fuel milage for the towing vehichle and the hassle of parking.Like I said I was just curious.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I tie the fronts down to just above the fender mounts, pulling out and forward into the chock. I use a single strap looped around the rear wheel and pulling back.

I had the trailer up on one wheel when I dodged someone who wanted my lane more than I did. Bike never moved, except the rear end slid over a little. I need to add two more straps and attach them to somewhere on the swingarm.

I prefer to let the bike ride on its own suspension, instead of compressing it down. Worked for me so far!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated, I use straps just above the fender on the lower forks. A word of caution about loading the suspension, I've seen the open hook type straps come loose from the suspension collapsing during a hard bump in the road. Results were catastrophic.

Attached Thumbnails What Learned about Trailering!!!-p5070283.jpg  
Old 09-27-2009, 04:29 PM
kwb377
Tourer

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
After rereading my post, I honestly can't see where I said anything that should have offended anyone.

My post wasn't directed at you per se...just those in general that always chime in with a smarta$$ comment about a bike being on a trailer without having any clue that there might be a legitimate reason.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
After rereading my post, I honestly can't see where I said anything that should have offended anyone. If someone wants to trailer a bike that is fine with me.I was curious as to why anyone would trailer a touring bike. I can see trailering a sportster,a dyna or any less equipped motorcycle for several hundred miles to a destination to ride and enjoy. I was not asking to Pi$$ anyone off,or to be a troll. I was honestly asking why anyone would want to load and secure such a heavy bike with very few tie down points. It would seem like a hassle to tie one down and worry with it falling over,plus the decreased fuel milage for the towing vehichle and the hassle of parking.Like I said I was just curious.
O.K. I am not trying to start a fight with you, but you came across as a smart azz that was somehow superior because you wouldn't trailer a touring bike. Now you are coming across as someone that wishes he hadn't said anything and you are playing naive like you didn't know what you were doing. JMO so I could be wrong, but that is the way it appears to me. Why don't you just admit you had too much to drink when you posted your first response and didn't think it thru before you posted.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Lesson Learned

Originally Posted by gunnert
As stated, I use straps just above the fender on the lower forks. A word of caution about loading the suspension, I've seen the open hook type straps come loose from the suspension collapsing during a hard bump in the road. Results were catastrophic.
X2 on that, but if you use two of the open hook straps per side, one hook going forward, one going aft, and then take a plastic tie strap and cinch the two together so they can't move, it keeps them from popping loose.

With that said, I bought a pair of military ratchet straps with hook locks that are wider than my ACRA straps, and I love them.

3rd comment, my 09 Ultra looks a lot different more complicated to trailer than my 06 Deuce did, so after 6 pages and not one picture??

I need pictures.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mike5511
O.K. I am not trying to start a fight with you, but you came across as a smart azz that was somehow superior because you wouldn't trailer a touring bike. Now you are coming across as someone that wishes he hadn't said anything and you are playing naive like you didn't know what you were doing. JMO so I could be wrong, but that is the way it appears to me. Why don't you just admit you had too much to drink when you posted your first response and didn't think it thru before you posted.
Nope don't drink. I stand by what I said. I guess from my point of view or my financial standing,If I were making payments on a nice fairly new truck and an enclosed trailer.There is no way I could afford a touring bike much less the gas to trailer it on long trips. My point was a touring bike would be a pain in the *** to tie down and trailer. I saw some good reasons posted why for certain peoples situations why they would trailer a touring bike. But I also saw some downright defensive replies. I was just honestly asking why anyone would trailer a touring bike. If it works for them that is just fine.It just seems like a very expensive way to tour. At least $30,000 for a truck or SUV another few grand for a trailer and we all know what touring bikes cost. But that's fine if I pass y'all on the road I'll still wave,as they are just enjoying the road a different way than I am. Peace

Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I tie down to frame down tubes in front and to rear passenger pegs on rear.

lp

Last edited by lp; 09-28-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply: What Learned about Trailering!!!