Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Learned about Trailering!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

This is fascinating. Another "which is the best oil" thread has to be just around the corner.

If anyone is interested, I own both a red and yellow Sears jack......and all of you know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I learned about trailerin this year in prep to go to Sturgis---DO NOT let anyone but yourself tie your bike down regardless of what method you use.

Travelled with a group of wife's co workers----they insisted on trailering the first leg of trip---put bike in trailer started to tie down---got LOT's of unasked for help.

At first stop, straps loose, bike fell on bars of bike beside mine----tank scratched to bare metal------NO apology from anyone.----NEVER do that again--started trip in sour note.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM
nocages4me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each his own. I personally will not trailer my bike but that is just my preference. If you want to trailer fine, I just hate it when I'm at a rally and there are no parking spaces at a BIKE RALLY because everyone brought thier truck and trailer and they can't park them farther away. That is very frustrating for me anyways.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I haven't strapped mine down yet but I know it's coming. My S/O just can't take riding all day long on the superslab to get somewhere.

With the guys I say bring it on. I will ride dawn to dusk but there are some places that I want to go that either means a plane ticket and trying to be on time to pick her up which is a pita on a bike with the weather and other delays that can come into play when traveling on a bike.

If anyone said anything to me about it I would have to give them a polite FU. I don't give a rats *** what anyone else thinks about what I do. Having her with me in good spirits is more important than proving a point to anyone.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Advice

Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Wow A trailering thread for Harley touring bikes. I hope mine never ends up on a trailer.I know there are times that some people have to trailer their bike some where. Not wanting to offend anyone. But it just don't seem right for a touring bike to be trailered unless it is broken down.
I trailer mine from Cleveland Ohio in Jan or Feb each year when the winter is at it's worst and go somewhere warm for a week of riding. You may live somewhere that is warm all year but I don't. Last year when I left the temp was -2 and about a foot of snow on the ground. You may ride in that but I wont

Old 09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have two trailers and use them when I need to, not very often, but sometimes it makes the difference of being able to do a great trip when the weather is bad at home and I have other family members that are going to. I am not anti-trailering and couldn't care less what others need to do to enjoy their time, but it does remind me of a good joke I used to hear alot......

What's the difference between my Harley and my coon dog? My Harley doesn't bark wanting out of the truck every time I stop.

Dennis

Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

This forum has taught me two things about tying down a bike by the handlebars:

1. Don't use the handle bars because they are not guaranteed to withstand the type of force they may be exposed to.
2. Don't use the handlebars because to adequatley tie down a 900lb Ultra you need to compress the suspension. Could adversely affect the fork seals.

I use a wheel chock and the following:

One set of soft ties/ratchet straps toward the bottom of the forks just above the fender brace tied down to D rings . These are the primary tie downs. Very strong and no suspension compression.

One set of soft ties/ratchet straps looped thru the underside of the upper fork brace around the upper part of the fork and tied down to D rings. Just tight enough to stabilize the bike and provide back up. No suspension compression.

One set of soft ties/ratchet straps around the passenger board supports tied down to D-rings pulling forward and securing the bike into the chock.

The second set of tie downs is probably not necesary but I have them and like the added insurance.

Solid as a rock without any suspension compression.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

They say a pics worth a thousand words. For you "never trailer" guys- that white chit is snow and the high temp was 10 above when we left for bike week.

Attached Thumbnails What Learned about Trailering!!!-p1010001.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have trailered enough to prove to myself that some suspension compression will NOT cause any adverse problems. If I ever see any adverse effects because of suspension compression, I will be glad to post here.

+1 on never using the handlebars or engine guards!

someone said , I agree. Next time I have mine in the trailer, I will take some pictures. This topic will come up again!

Quick Reply: What Learned about Trailering!!!