Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Learned about Trailering!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcbpa
Because it enables me to travel with my wife and dodge the rain when needed... There are a lot of boring roads that lead to wonderful roads... I'd rather take my bride of 36 years and do the roads that really matter. At 58 I don't have much to prove, just want to ride when I can!
well said my friend!!

Old 09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know there is a proverb that says
"Even a fool seems wise when he keeps silent." Chalk up the years and you will desire to avoid the precip when you can and still ride when the weater cooperates....anything above 35 and no precip is rideable.... If you want to carve canyons in
AZ and have only a couple of weeks, a wife who is wonderful.. you too may trailer!

Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whackone
Works well, plus it lets the bike ride on it's own suspension.
This fender brackets sound like a good idea but I worry about rubbing the paint off the fender. I use the Kury brackets and they work great. Also was at the dealer the other day and they were unpacking a new Ultra. It was on an aluminum pallet/skid. The front tire was down in between two cross members so the bike couldn't roll fore and aft. The only ties were around the front crash bars. I tried to shake the bike and it was rock solid

Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geezer Glide 56,

Why don't you ride up and see me this Feb (northern Michigan)

Last edited by kpb46; 09-20-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Wow A trailering thread for Harley touring bikes. I hope mine never ends up on a trailer.I know there are times that some people have to trailer their bike some where. Not wanting to offend anyone. But it just don't seem right for a touring bike to be trailered unless it is broken down.

One (or more) in every thread about trailering. I'll make you a deal, you do what you want, and I'll do what I want. I won't question what you do if it doesn't effect me, and I expect the same from you. What could be more fair and grown up than that???
By the way, whatever we each decide to do, it doesn't make one of us more superior than the other. Just different, and different is cool. Everything/body the same is boring!

For those of you who think it is wrong to trailer a touring bike: That's O.K. for you to feel that way, I support you 100%. But excuse the hell out of me if I don't feel the same way. For a bunch of folks who like to thumb their nose at normal society, at least every now and then, and ride them big ol' mean harley's down the road feeling FREE, some of you really have a conformist mentality! JMO, and nobody has to agree with me

Last edited by mike5511; 09-21-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Might Find this Interesting .. Having Used it... To me is the best way to go .. No Straps Needed Ride it on (or push if broken) and lock it down... www.bikersgostrapless.com

Old 09-21-2009, 05:22 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Touchy subject,I did not mean to Pi$$ anyone off, To those that were offended ,I apologize.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Well as for trailering, I too used to think it was wrong, then I though and realized that not everyone can sit in the saddle for hours upon end or maybe the wife can't due to medical reasons...beside who the hell am I to judge anyone else?....so trailer if you want or must, no one should care, your bike, your time.

Now back to the question posted. Guys do not use handlebars or engine guards to secure your bike, you're asking for trouble...just because you have done it in the past doesn't mean that those bars won't move or bend, seen it happen too many times.
Get a pair of "soft ties", these are the straps with loops at each end, place the straps through the opening above the bottom fork tree and loop one end through the other. Then place your tie down through this loop and secure to your tie down point. Your fork trees are not going to move or bend like some other parts....also the soft ties keep the tie downs away from painted surfaces.
Suggest the use of a wheel chock too....

Be safe all and don't be so quick to judge someone else....like I use to.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 AM
gunnert
Road Captain

Wow A trailering thread for Harley touring bikes. I hope mine never ends up on a trailer.I know there are times that some people have to trailer their bike some where. Not wanting to offend anyone. But it just don't seem right for a touring bike to be trailered unless it is broken down.
Give it a few years, you'll be more tolerant of trailering...

Attached Thumbnails What Learned about Trailering!!!-p5070287.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM
gunnert
Road Captain

Not judging,Just curious why anyone would trailer a touring bike? I hope mine never ends up on a trailer, If it does it will mean that it is either wrecked, broken. or stolen.
...you live in northern VA and want to spend a week in the mountains of NC/TN. Nothing of interest between here the TN border (6 hours rolling time). I-81 is the route with about a million trucks on it. I may be in the minority, but as my wife (passenger) doesn't enjoy hours on the interstate, I load the bike in the truck. Drive to the Tri-cities aiport in Bristol, unload the bike and park the truck at the airport (about $5 bucks a day parking). About two/three hours later we arrive at Fontana Village refreshed, open a bottle of Jack and let the games begin... 5 days later, you return to Bristol, load up, and arrive home not buzzing like a frekkin bee... Like a few here, few things **** me off more than someone telling me how "I" should ride...

As for tieing down, I'm a fan of the front forks and rear passenger floorboard brackets. I don't like loading up the front forks. I also add a strap through the rear wheel with a half hitch to rear tire from being able to move left or right. I use a Condor for the front wheel with a set of 10' Alum arched ramps. The new Erickson retractable tie downs are awesome.

Attached Thumbnails What Learned about Trailering!!!-p5070287.jpg  

Quick Reply: What Learned about Trailering!!!