Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Learned about Trailering!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow A trailering thread for Harley touring bikes. I hope mine never ends up on a trailer.I know there are times that some people have to trailer their bike some where. Not wanting to offend anyone. But it just don't seem right for a touring bike to be trailered unless it is broken down.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:04 PM
kwb377
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Wow A trailering thread for Harley touring bikes. I hope mine never ends up on a trailer.I know there are times that some people have to trailer their bike some where. Not wanting to offend anyone. But it just don't seem right for a touring bike to be trailered unless it is broken down.

I have no problem doing 1k + mile trips, or 10 hrs. + per day on mine, but every now and then it ends up on a trailer.

Last spring I trailered mine to Thunder Beach. At a gas stop, this jackass on another RK remarks to the effect of me being a "pu$$y" and needing to get rid of my "f'ing Touring" bike.

My reply..."Not that it's any of your business, but how do you propse I get my wife and two kids home once I meet them after the rally?" (they rode down to the beach with other family members)

Don't judge me just because you see me towing my "Touring" bike.

When I had my BMW tourer (K1200LT) there was a thread on the Beemer forum in which someone witnessed and took a picture of a guy with an LT in the back of a truck (there was a similar one here awhile back with a UC in a truck). Everyone then piled-on about how this person should be ashamed, get rid of their touring rig, desparaged his manhood, etc.

They knew nothing about this person, or their particular situation...they only "assumed".

Whenever someone posts a thread here about loading / securing their bike in a truck or trailer, it's always the same thing...30 people running their pie-hole about "Ride It!", or "Trailering should be a crime!".

Sorry for the rant...

Back on topic...this is how I tie mine down, works great!

Originally Posted by jcbpa
I found that the engine bars on the front; the bars that protect the bags (frame mounted; not horizontal bars; and one on the tire.... kept me in good stead no matter the terrain.

Last edited by kwb377; 09-20-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcbpa
Don't use a handle bar harness... It sounded like a good idea but cost me a day in the shop while on vacation. Tie down where there are no potential electric connections.
Why don't you just ride the bike!

J/K Not that I've ever used my Wells Cargo cycle hauler and Kuryakin Tie down Brackets. I hear this set-up is gonna work just fine.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...D/104/IMID/856

Old 09-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went on Vacation with the family last summer to MS,trailered my RG all the way tied down to the frame down tubes. Used tie downs with the D rings that hook to thirselves on one end and the trailer on the other. Used a thrid strap on the rear wheel pulled toward the back of the trailer. Went all the way without one problem.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike5959
front forks above the fender mounting location.
Works well, plus it lets the bike ride on it's own suspension.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:02 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kwb377
I have no problem doing 1k + mile trips, or 10 hrs. + per day on mine, but every now and then it ends up on a trailer.

Last spring I trailered mine to Thunder Beach. At a gas stop, this jackass on another RK remarks to the effect of me being a "pu$$y" and needing to get rid of my "f'ing Touring" bike.

My reply..."Not that it's any of your business, but how do you propse I get my wife and two kids home once I meet them after the rally?" (they rode down to the beach with other family members)

Don't judge me just because you see me towing my "Touring" bike.

When I had my BMW tourer (K1200LT) there was a thread on the Beemer forum in which someone witnessed and took a picture of a guy with an LT in the back of a truck (there was a similar one here awhile back with a UC in a truck). Everyone then piled-on about how this person should be ashamed, get rid of their touring rig, desparaged his manhood, etc.

They knew nothing about this person, or their particular situation...they only "assumed".

Whenever someone posts a thread here about loading / securing their bike in a truck or trailer, it's always the same thing...30 people running their pie-hole about "Ride It!", or "Trailering should be a crime!".

Sorry for the rant...

Back on topic...this is how I tie mine down, works great!

Not judging,Just curious why anyone would trailer a touring bike? I hope mine never ends up on a trailer, If it does it will mean that it is either wrecked, broken. or stolen.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Not judging,Just curious why anyone would trailer a touring bike? I hope mine never ends up on a trailer, If it does it will mean that it is either wrecked, broken. or stolen.
I hate trolls!

OT - I've yet to trailer my RG, but it will happen when we want to take the dog and the motorcycles up to our cabin in the mountains. I thought I saw a webbing product made to go over the dual front discs to then tie down from. Anyone know what it's called?

I've seen the Kuryakyn tie down bracket that mounts to the outside of the forks and it looks like a great option for batwings, but not for the shark.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
I hate trolls!

OT - I've yet to trailer my RG, but it will happen when we want to take the dog and the motorcycles up to our cabin in the mountains. I thought I saw a webbing product made to go over the dual front discs to then tie down from. Anyone know what it's called?

I've seen the Kuryakyn tie down bracket that mounts to the outside of the forks and it looks like a great option for batwings, but not for the shark.

Troll? Nope just my opinion,No need to put a label on me. Have a good one.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

C'mon now,
other than your 3 stated reasons, you really cant think of another?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Touring and trailering....

Because it enables me to travel with my wife and dodge the rain when needed... There are a lot of boring roads that lead to wonderful roads... I'd rather take my bride of 36 years and do the roads that really matter. At 58 I don't have much to prove, just want to ride when I can!

Quick Reply: What Learned about Trailering!!!