Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking off some chrome

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Taking off some chrome

I have a 2009 EG Classic and am thinking about cleaning up the looks to model more after the SG. I already have the detachable Tour Pak and a solo seat. The 2 things that I am thinking about are taking off the chrome, rubber and reflector bumper thing that hangs from the front fender and the horizontal bars that wrap around the saddle bags.

1.) The front bumper is bolted to the forks using the same bolts that hold the front fender on. It looks like there are some spacers used between the fender and the bolt heads. If I take the bumper off, can I just put the fender bolts and spacers back or do I need new, shorter bolts? Would you bother to purchase the SG front reflectors and stick them onto the fork legs?

2.) If I take the horizontal bars that wrap around the saddle bags off but leave the crash bar in place, there will be holes in the crash bar that I would like to cover up. Do any of you have a trick for that? The first thing that comes to my mind is to buy more of the button that the mounting screws use but I would still need some kind of nuts to do that

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:02 PM
In10SS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same questions on my '10 Ultra. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2009, 03:09 AM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsreddyna
I have a 2009 EG Classic and am thinking about cleaning up the looks to model more after the SG. I already have the detachable Tour Pak and a solo seat. The 2 things that I am thinking about are taking off the chrome, rubber and reflector bumper thing that hangs from the front fender and the horizontal bars that wrap around the saddle bags.

1.) The front bumper is bolted to the forks using the same bolts that hold the front fender on. It looks like there are some spacers used between the fender and the bolt heads. If I take the bumper off, can I just put the fender bolts and spacers back or do I need new, shorter bolts? Would you bother to purchase the SG front reflectors and stick them onto the fork legs?

2.) If I take the horizontal bars that wrap around the saddle bags off but leave the crash bar in place, there will be holes in the crash bar that I would like to cover up. Do any of you have a trick for that? The first thing that comes to my mind is to buy more of the button that the mounting screws use but I would still need some kind of nuts to do that

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I removed my front bumper and just reused the original bolts. When you go to take the bolts out you will need a long screw driver to bend the locking tabs away from the bolt head. The bike looks soo much better without the front bumper. I also removed the rear bumper but didnt like how it looked without it, so i put it back on.

and the bars around the saddle bags have holes in them. you either have to deal with the holes or buy a set from a street glide.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:02 AM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Did you reuse the spacers between the bumper and the fender?

I don't want the holes in the front crash bar exposed so I will not tack the wrap around bars off til I come up with a way to hide or plug the holes.

Jim

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsreddyna
Thanks for the reply. Did you reuse the spacers between the bumper and the fender?

Jim
Hey no problem...yes i reused everything. The only thing i left off was the bumper. Looks so much better without the bumper IMHO