Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome cleaning and polishing!What to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Chrome cleaning and polishing!What to use?

What do you recommend for keeping the bling "blinging"?Have anyone tried the crystal glo advertised on here to the right----->?
Trying to stay away from HD overpriced products!

Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Chrome cleaning and polishing!What to use?

Get to the nearest Honda shop and buy a can of the Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Cost about $5 for a big can. Stuff works great and is famous in car show areas.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:04 PM
ScooterGuitar
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gmoney, you have been so kind in my past threads, so I am here to help! I have no clue!
The past few months I have been on a crazy detailing kick (around $1k in products so far), mostly for paint though.
Let me just say a few things here...
If it is starting to corrode, tarnish, or has heavy wear, go for something with some grit such as Turtle Wax chrome polish (one of my favs and its super cheap), also NevrDull wadding is a must have. I even dip the wadding in Turtle once in ahwile.
Now my 1998 King has old chrome and new chrome so I have to break out the above.
Lots of people really like Simichrome, I don't.
I tried the new miracle polish, Maas, it reminds me of a cross between simichrome and Wenol blue, its ok. The Maaas protector sucks bigtime! So very hard to remove.
Now we come to Wenol Blue, probably my favorite of all polishes this far! Also works great on those aluminum parts you may or may not have.
Mothers, its ok.
I do have some Clearkote coming that is a liquid, anxious as to how it works! I also have some wheel wax coming that fights off grime, makes cleaning easier and isn't affected by heat liek regualr wax.
Remember, if it is abrasive, you may not notice it, but overtime it will begin to micromar the chrome finish.
Most chrome polishes also offer soem protection.
As for bling, after a chrome polish of choice, nothing beats a great wax on the chrome to really shine it up! Although, yes the wax is heated/worn off fairly quick, it sure looks nice for ahwile and it really easy to do on chrome. apply, haze, wipe off. you might also want to try some quick detailers on the chrome after polsihing. A good quickdetailer will wipe bugs and dust off and quickly brighten it up in between heavy polish. Lots of people go straight for a polish opposed to quick detailing, thus as per my above staement, why afetr time it will beign to look...well not good and new!
Finally, consider a sealer that you use on paint! Examples are Klasse, Poorboys EXP, etc. Once its godo and clean, using a sealer sure makes clenaing easier and offers protection.
Thign is, on cars using thsi stuff is a breeze, but on bikes it is so tiem consuming, so finding what products work for you is the biggie. As oyu can tell, I am continuing to test and try different products and will until I find the right one!
Feel free to email or pm me, I might be able to send you out a few little samples if you wanna try any of the above.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:12 PM
DWhite
Tourer

Asking a question like this will get so many different answers
Honda polsih is good for the paint if you need a quick clean but it doesnt do squat for the chrome. Go to your local parts store and get Mothers Polishing Cream. Easy to use and gives excellent results.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

I have a black EGS and found that ZYMOL works great on black paint. Before applying the ZYMOL, I put 2-3 coats of Black Turtle wax to fill in any hairline swirls, then I apply the ZYMOL. It gives is a glassy black look.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Topper
Road Captain

Try Simichrome Polish, its a German product imported by Competition Chemicals, Inc. (641)648-5121. I was at the beach a few years ago and stopped by a hole in the wall shop for some cleaning items to get rid of the salt on my Softail. They put me on to it, and I'll never be without it as long as I own a bike. It actually will REMOVE rust discoloration off of chrome pipes. You spread it with your finger, rubbing it till it turns black, then buff and be amazed.

BTW, nice wheels, looking at about 5 more weeks for these to come in[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clean, use Windex or Glass Plus w/o amonia. Be sure without amonia. That's what a lot of shops use. I cut mine with about 30% water. Disolves bugs and shines great!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DWhite

Asking a question like this will get so many different answers
Honda polsih is good for the paint if you need a quick clean but it doesnt do squat for the chrome. Go to your local parts store and get Mothers Polishing Cream. Easy to use and gives excellent results.
I use the Honda cleaner and polish all the time. Stuff cleans chrome like nothin else. Bugs, tar, it all comes right off. Now if you're talking about polishing aluminum or any other metal, then Mothers is good. I use some stuff called VIP metal polish that is mostly sold to the military. Polished my fork sliders up so well, most people think they are chrome.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

gmoney...i use one of three things dependin on how dirty it is, how much time i have, AND how HOT it is ....first for a quick shine and it works very well too is WINDEX, yep, WINDEX....2nd if it needs some rubbin and i'm not jammed up for time too bad i use, NEVER DULL..its a wadding with shiner stuff impregnated, rub on, let haze, rub off...works great on chrome or billet....finally for the absolute best and deepest but only if its cool outside, i got time, or moma's doin it nekid, i'll use SEMICHROME...its old school type paste in a small tube and takes abit more elbow grease but man does it ever make metal pop...hope it helps

Old 06-19-2006, 01:15 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Now scotty you know your long overdue for the pic gallery man,let us see that paint upclose!
Thanks for the info,iv'e got some of the mothers stuff from my friend i'm going to try out.Let me know how the clearkote works out.I think the wax coat after is a good ideal but it's about 5900 degrees here in vegas now so it wont last long.

Quick Reply: Chrome cleaning and polishing!What to use?