Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Aztecking
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scrooge, me and some buddies just got back from that same area last week. My friends and I left from southern Kansas and rode out there and back. Saw some pretty country. I read where you went to PCH last year and are going to Glacier and Yellowstone next year. We did the PCH last year and are going to Glacier and Yellowstone next year too. I guess great minds think alike.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Funny you mention 421. Myself and a few bud's are headed there in a couple weeks.
It's called the Snake. Heard about it from a biker woman who's restaurant we were eating at in Indiana. She said it blew away the Dragon.
Maybe I will have a t-shirt done up saying "I Beat the Snake"

Old 09-17-2009, 04:04 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
The 61 year old biker babe and I got back yesterday from this year's bucket list tour. We rode the parkway from Asheville to Blowing Rock. I have mixed feelings about the BRP. We saw some really spectacular views (e.g., top of Mt. Mitchell, Linville Falls) but we also had to dodge a lot of bicycles (downright dangerous!) and ride many tree lined miles in which there was no view available between the good spots. Although we had planned to go on into Virginia on the parkway, after one day we decided to strike out on area highways in NW North Carolina instead.

Let me recommend US421 from Boone, NC to Bristol, TN. It's a well kept secret. Unobstructed beautiful views west of Boone give way to world class twisties between Mountain City and Bristol--and we had the road virtually to ourselves! I've never ridden the Dragon and don't plan to, but I would like to see a comparison between it and this section of 421. This road gave me all I could handle two up and loaded! You younger bucks need to get on with this sort of thing before your 60s.

On the way home we caught a Cards game at the new Busch Stadium. It is exactly what a ballpark should look like. And then we dropped down to Branson to catch Jim Stafford's show. The eastern part of the trip was dry, but we got rained on pretty good the last two days. Branson in the rain is not a cyclist's delight.

Last year: Pacific Coast Highway. Next year: Yellowstone and Glacier NPs.
I did that ride last summer. Freakin' awesome. Doesn't quite match The Dragon though, it's a little more intense. I dunno, maybe I picked up the pace on the Dragon because it's legendary. The floor boards on the rented 2008 Electra Glide Classic I had were pristine on pickup, and totally ground down when I returned the bike. I even ground down the floor board mounts a bit, LOL... Luckily they didn't charge me when I returned it.

I'd have to say that NC/Tennessee rank right up there with California in awesome riding experiences.

Side note: The '08's limits are much lower than my 2010's limits. I have standard shocks on the rear of my bike, and the new bike carries MUCH more corner speed before the boards start grinding. Enough to cause a pucker here and there...

Old 09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hd08EGC
Did most of the BRP and all of Skyline Drive this past May. Week days are best! Headed back to the Southern part of the Smokies next weekend and can't wait!
Mid-week is the key.

Also a cool stop when in the area is to go to the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley. The largest collection of American V-Twins anywhere, and most of them RUN. Fun to watch the owner do a burnout through the museum on an ancient bike...

Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 169 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time. I would like to ride the BRP from end to end some day.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

Great post, I've done the Skyline and BRP from one end to the other. I agree there are several others to enjoy.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good notes and comments on this thread, taking notes!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 PM
skunk237
Cruiser

Wife and I did the Cherohola, dragon, and then the BRP from Asheville, NC to Staunton Va... stayed at Peaks of Otter lodge one night... Pricey, but gotta do it once,,, 1806 miles... in June, this summer.. Next trip to 421 and the Biltmore.... Great roads doen there,,,,

Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Gods Country.....From the Mountains to the Meadows

Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM
BigInjun
Cruiser
Smile Home

You missed the best part of the parkway by not going on up to Va. Its a lot more open and the view is much better during the middle of Oct. altho the weather can get a little cool. I live just below the area near Wilkesboro. Also, did you stop at the little country store at the crossroads at the bottom of the twistys on 421...Shady Valley??? Its a great motorcycle hangout with rocking chairs on the front porch and great big burgers served any way ya want em. Turn right there and go to Damascus Va and take 58 back across souther Va...great tight road..or turn left at Shady Valley and head back to the south towards the southern parts of the eastern Appalachians. Beautiful area that I call home. Y'all come see us agin..ya hear!!!!

Quick Reply: Back from Blue Ridge Parkway