Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great trip. The second picture looks like the 61 yr old biker babe is thinking, get me to a motel and do it soon.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great trip! I've been drawn to that area myself a couple times a year (at least). The only part of BRP I've ridden is Shenendoah NP. It was nice too, but slow.
Funny you mention 421. Myself and a few bud's are headed there in a couple weeks.
It's called the Snake. Heard about it from a biker woman who's restaurant we were eating at in Indiana. She said it blew away the Dragon. I'm looking forward to the colors.
Are you doing the west side on a bike? Should be a completely different experience!
I can't get west of the Mississippi on a bike for some reason? Although the wife and I are talking about renting and doing Pacific Coast Hwy around Christmas (cold).
Thanks for the write-up.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
HHI Dave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headed up there this Sunday. We're staying in Blowing Rock, planning to ride the BRP from Boone to Asheville then going to ride the Smoky Mtn. Loop, 441, Foothills Pkway, The Dragon, etc. Can't wait.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We got back from the BRP in July,I totally agree about some areas without a view. I did my homework before we went so I had already read that the best rides were off the BRP. We too took 421 from Boone NC to Briston VA where we visited the H-D Dealer. It is definately better then some of the streches on the BRP. We started out in TX so we took 13 days and lots of back roads. Cherohala Skyway from Telico Plains to Robinsonville & on to Deals Gap was a very nice and winedy road also.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

I agree We rode the BRP from Fancy Gap to Ashville, just a bit over 200 miles and that was about 150 miles to long. For us about 2hrs of the BRP would have been plenty

Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
xmeter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We rode the BRP last week and I was surprised at the lack of traffic.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Are you doing the west side on a bike? Should be a completely different experience!
I've done most everything west of Oklahoma and south of 80. I strongly recommend the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray, CO, the Pacific Coast Highway, Monument Valley, and the Grand Canyon.

I still haven't done Zion or Bryce Canyon NPs, but they are on the list.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Congrats on the great ride. Sounds like you had a good time!

Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
I've done most everything west of Oklahoma and south of 80. I strongly recommend the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray, CO, the Pacific Coast Highway, Monument Valley, and the Grand Canyon.

I still haven't done Zion or Bryce Canyon NPs, but they are on the list.

Those are all on the bucket list!
The problem I have is time - need extended vacations for me just to get "out west"! I have a cousin-in-law in Fort Collins, Co who's been begging us to get out there. Wants to take a road trip to Durango.
One day soon!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM
1hd08EGC
Cruiser

Did most of the BRP and all of Skyline Drive this past May. Week days are best! Headed back to the Southern part of the Smokies next weekend and can't wait!

Quick Reply: Back from Blue Ridge Parkway