Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of SE Heavy Breather on RG

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009 | 01:23 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

I was told that the "new" Screaming Eagle Filter doesn't use oil?.. Did HD switch from K&N to someone else?

Old 09-16-2009 | 01:24 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=PWFD;5590922]sounded too me like it wasn't something that would need to be taken off and cleaned all that often where I live. the dealer told me if I lived in a real dry climate that was dusty or road on gravel roads often that would be a different story. hope they are right, I sooo dont want to take this thing off and clean it often.[/QUOT

By the way, cleaning it isn't very difficult at all. The whole thing comes off by removing that one "ring clamp" that attaches it to the elbow. I'm telling you, if I can clean mine, ANYBODY CAN!!!

Old 09-16-2009 | 01:27 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PWFD
I was told that the "new" Screaming Eagle Filter doesn't use oil?.. Did HD switch from K&N to someone else?
I can't honestly answer that question. I made my decision based on what my mechanic told me and my own common sense (which may or may not be correct!) If the filter's pink from oil when you buy it, why wouldn't you continue keeping it pink by re-charging it and adding the oil that makes it look the way it did when you bought it/.

Old 09-16-2009 | 01:28 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

I clean my K&N fliter every 15k miles. I spray the outside with a solution of 3/4 cup of water 1/4 cup of alcohol and 4 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap mixed together.

Spray it generously on the outside and let soak for 20 minutes then rinse with hot water from inside out. Shake the excess water off and let dry overnight in front of my fan. In the morning I spray a light coat of fresh K&N re-charge oil and install.

Old 09-16-2009 | 01:31 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I can't honestly answer that question. I made my decision based on what my mechanic told me and my own common sense (which may or may not be correct!) If the filter's pink from oil when you buy it, why wouldn't you continue keeping it pink by re-charging it and adding the oil that makes it look the way it did when you bought it/.
Agreed, just thought I read someplace NOT to use the oil on this one. If you keep the sock on all the time, do you still need to do this? Also, the stock filter, did that one require oil spray too? Maybe my dealer told me that due to only putting on about 2000 miles a year that I wont have to due much to it?. I dont ride near as much as I would like too.

Last edited by PWFD; 09-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2009 | 02:41 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PWFD
Agreed, just thought I read someplace NOT to use the oil on this one. If you keep the sock on all the time, do you still need to do this? Also, the stock filter, did that one require oil spray too? Maybe my dealer told me that due to only putting on about 2000 miles a year that I wont have to due much to it?. I dont ride near as much as I would like too.
I'm guessing that if you kept the sock on all the time the oil wouldn't "evaporate" quite as quickly, so you probably wouldn't need to re-charge it quite as often. When you say the "stock filter" meaning the one you had on your bike prior to the HB I'm guessing, no you didn't need to spray it with oil. And this part is just my opinion, if you're only getting in 2 K a year, you could probably just re-charge it each Spring and be okay with it for the rest of the year.

Old 09-16-2009 | 02:45 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Cleaning instructions come with the breather. It should have been given to you when it was installed. If you need I can scan mine and send it to you so PM me.

Old 09-16-2009 | 02:58 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Cleaning instructions come with the breather. It should have been given to you when it was installed. If you need I can scan mine and send it to you so PM me.
got the box with the stock filter in it. no paper work. if you can scan that info in and email that would be much appreciated!

thanks!

T

Old 09-16-2009 | 04:46 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Sent it to your address. BTW, you will notice it says to clean every 5k for anyone else needing the info.

Old 09-16-2009 | 05:03 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Sent it to your address. BTW, you will notice it says to clean every 5k for anyone else needing the info.
Thanks again for the documentation. People like you are what make forums like this one so great!!

Quick Reply: Pictures of SE Heavy Breather on RG