Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triple Platinum plugs in a NON-modified engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Triple Platinum plugs in a NON-modified engine?

I have had these triple platinum plugs in for 2000 miles in my 05 Ultra without any issues "yet".

Biggest difference - the engine starts INSTANTLY whether ice cold or smoking hot.

Standard plugs usually had the engine rotate a few times before kicking in.

BUT, I have noticed some pinging when the scoot is toasty (oil temp is at 250F+) that didn't happen before (last summer).

Mine may be coming out too based on the above advise and expertise.

What do you experts think of the gold plugs??? Another marketing ploy???

And I had my scoot dyno'd with these plugs - will I need to re-dyno if I change back to standard plugs??? Hope not.

thx

Old 06-18-2006, 11:16 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Ya know awhile back the gold plugs were recommended to me because I was fouling plugs due to the 05 value seal issue. They worked great as there were a little harder to foul due to the shape of the electrode.
What I find funny is your bike can be burning oil and fouling plugs straight from the factory and show no "Codes"... AND be told its normal.....but here if you change to triple platinum plugs, you can possibly break your ION Sense pulse thingy and create "codes" sooner or later...
Bike loves eating oil..hates extra spark.....thats a riot.

ORIGINAL: dchoran

I have had these triple platinum plugs in for 2000 miles in my 05 Ultra without any issues "yet".

Biggest difference - the engine starts INSTANTLY whether ice cold or smoking hot.

Standard plugs usually had the engine rotate a few times before kicking in.

BUT, I have noticed some pinging when the scoot is toasty (oil temp is at 250F+) that didn't happen before (last summer).

Mine may be coming out too based on the above advise and expertise.

What do you experts think of the gold plugs??? Another marketing ploy???

And I had my scoot dyno'd with these plugs - will I need to re-dyno if I change back to standard plugs??? Hope not.

thx

Old 06-18-2006, 11:27 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Gunny has spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=hail.gif]

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Look, you like spending $$$$ on your bike....

Nothing wrong with that.....

BUT, there is no realized benefit or perk that those plugs will give you.....

'Cept a lighter wallet, and sooner or later you WILL start seeing a Check Engine Light after your bike is running.....

Due to the fact that the ECM can't pick up the proper signal from the ION Sense pulse that is sent through the plug wires and plugs to the ECM through a Ping similar to Radar.....

Old 06-18-2006, 11:36 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,773 Likes on 1,267 Posts

My point is go ahead and run them, however they are not going to help your engine in any way or hurt it. Splitfire pugs ARE a marketing game. Stock plugs work fine. Save your money and use stock plugs, but if you already have them I wouldn't take them out.

The platinum material used on plugs is better because it is not affected the same regular steel is with heat.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:40 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, those plugs CAN hurt your engine. The ION sense pulse that Bob mentioned is also known as the knock retard sensors. If your ECM detects any spark knock (pinging) it automatically retards timing to protect the engine. Those platinum plugs mess up the ECM readings and bad things can happen when an engine starts pinging. dchoran's bike is pinging and overheating... so, there is your reason. That's also why most people start getting check engine light codes when they run those plugs. The code is most always something to do with the ION sensing.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the platinum plugs today and replaced with the standard ones. I feel no difference in the ride. However, my bike seems to keep a better idle when it gets very hot. With the platinum plugs, the bike used to run a bit rough when it got real hot. The standard plugs seem ok.

The Placebo effect does it again.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

platinum is a poor conductor, that makes the plus last longer but don't perform as well as an iron electrode plug. a platinum plug doesn't disipate heat as quickly as an iron plus thus you can get pinging under load. I run Autolites in my RK and they run cleaner than any other plug. the stock H-D plug is a champion not known for longivity.