Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring model (sg) kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM
jonzhd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Touring model (sg) kickstand

Just bought an 09 sg. I don't like the stock kickstand. It just dosen"t seem stable. Every time I get off it seems like she's gonna drop. Is there a way to either replace it with one that isn't as steep or maybe a little longer?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Be patient, you will get use to it.
The lock that is on the kick stand allows them to move some but it is good to have.
Takes a while to get use to it.

In God we Trust

dd

Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

HD's kickstand is the best available. They all roll a bit but trust me, once you put it down it locks in and is'nt going anywhere. I tested mine when new just to see....I put the stand down while the bike was straight up and let it drop down on the stand and it worked perfectly. Besides, it's funny to see the shock on people's faces when they see the bike roll forward! I think it has taken a few years of life off plenty of new HD owners.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 09-16-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

+1 on what dirtdobber said. It is actually very stable. It would help if you day down on the ground and study how the kickstand locks. Once you see how it locks, you will have more confidence in the design.

Dennis

Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
HD's kickstand is the best available. They all roll a bit but trust me, once you put it down it locks in and is'nt going anywhere. I tested mine when new just to see....I put the stand down while the bike was straight up and let it drop down on the stand and it worked perfectly. Besides, it's funny to see the shock on people's faces when they see the bike roll forward! I think it has taken a few years of life off plenty of new HD owners.
I know I lost at least two years off my life as the bike would roll forward and then I would jump to "catch it". Now it's kind of fun to see peoples faces as it moves forward on the kickstand. LOL!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
jonzhd
Novice

You have all given me great advice and I thank you. I'll get down and take a good look! Your right about lossing a few years and at my age I can't afford to give any away!!! Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 AM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the top bolt is tighten to spec...otherwise that's just the way it is. Aftermarket is no better IMO.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

I thought there was a bulletin on early 09 street glides as far as the kick stand leaning over to much. Maybe wrong but ask dealer. Friend got early 09 and had same problem. I got mine this spring and mine does'nt lean like his did.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There is a service bulletin for the 09's leaning over too far. It was for the early models with a Sept 08 build date. They change the bracket if you have the old one. Other than that you do have the best and most reliable kickstand on the market.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You must be new to Harleys. You will see that they all do that and you will get used to it. Welcome to the family. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Touring model (sg) kickstand