Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring model (sg) kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
RKC Traveler
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I hate to post before properly introducing myself but I speciflcally looked up the topic of jiffy stands becasue of what happened to me yesterday. I parked my RK Classic on unevenly sloped pavement, so that the bike was leaning quite a bit on the kickstand side, much more so than usual. I think the bike was also facing slightly down hill, with the bike in neutral. When I got off the bike I noticed the kickstand was angled dangerously back to the rear wheel, more so than normal. I didn't realize the bike was also moving forward. The kickstand seemed to groan under the weight of the awkward lean angle. As I stood there looking at the odd angle of the kickstand I wondered to myself if the locking mechanism will keep the bike from dropping. Just then the kickstand popped and the bike fell over, hitting me on both legs. I'm fine, and the bike is fine, having come to rest on the highway bars.

I'm wondering if I should now have the kickstand mechanism checked to see if it was damaged from giving out under the strain. It seems to work ok but I'm not an expert. I'm sure the design is sound but the locking mechanism will obviously fail under certain circumstances and can only withstand the forces of physics to a point. I learned an important lesson of where and where not to park this bike. Despite this disturbing incident I'm loving the RKC. I look forward to learning a lot from the members on this forum.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
txrancher47
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The is a mod out that is available at no cost from your dealership...

http://www.box.net/services/ipaper_b...red/rexckaoutx

Hope this helps!

Sam

Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an ultra that rolls forward about 3 or 4 inches when i put it down. always gives my friend a heart attack. Dealer says some move more than others. its normal.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It works, period. Quit worrying about it.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdowell25
I know I lost at least two years off my life as the bike would roll forward and then I would jump to "catch it". Now it's kind of fun to see peoples faces as it moves forward on the kickstand. LOL!
Amen to that! Still gets me sometimes.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that all the time too,have even had a few guys standing next to me that don't ride Tourers grab my bike for fear of it falling. I just bought my wife a Heritage and the kickstand is NOT at all the same. I almost dropped it a few times till I got used to it not locking in place like mine does. I just get off the RG and lean'er over and get off with no woyyies at all,I would NEVER do that with the Heritage.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

have a friend sit on your bike and hold it upright, then with your hand work the kickstand observing how it's made and how it works. they're very dependable, and lock into position very well. once you see and understand how it works, your worries will be a thing of the past.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:55 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 155 Posts

It works exactly the way it was designed to. It still makes my butt pucker every time it moves after I put it down, but I have complete faith in it.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Like a lot of other Harley riders, I leave my bike in gear as a matter of habit when I put it on the kickstand. Bike hardly rolls at all.

Originally Posted by RKC Traveler
As I stood there looking at the odd angle of the kickstand I wondered to myself if the locking mechanism will keep the bike from dropping. Just then the kickstand popped and the bike fell over, hitting me on both legs. I'm fine, and the bike is fine, having come to rest on the highway bars.
I'd definitely have a real good look at the kickstand. The kickstand "popped"? But didn't break? I don't see how it could have given way without breaking.....

Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukebox
I get that all the time too,have even had a few guys standing next to me that don't ride Tourers grab my bike for fear of it falling.

I love it when that happens. The reactions by some are priceless. Funny even after you tell them it is fine they still wanna doubt you and think it is still gonna fall.

Quick Reply: Touring model (sg) kickstand