Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring model (sg) kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, I had to cut an inch of the foot tab. That sucker scraped at every turn. At first I thought it was the floorboard, but it was the kickstand. Other than that no issues.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its fine I have the same bike. It gives a little. Its not going anywhere dude. Relax and enjoy the scoot

Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Bagged Out
Road Captain

I got the replacement kickstand bracket for my early '09. The lean is considerably less. Whats your build date?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Like everyone said, you will get used to it. I have an '08 RK and it took a while to get rid of the fear even knowing how the stand worked. The other day we took out the shovel for a short ride and we parked at the curb on an incline. I haven't ridden it in a while so when I put the stand down and got off it moved forward, I thought no big deal but forgot I wasn't on the RK. Damn thing rolled about four feet down the hill on the side stand before I ran to grab it. I'm just glad it stopped on it's own. Was pretty damn funny, so after all these years, yep, **** still happens. Anticipating the "why don't you park in gear" questions, 'cause I hate that forward lunge when I forget it's in gear and kick it. I guess I could count on the neutral light, oh yeah, it don't have one of those either ....

Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 PM
PTAG
Road Captain

The only time it doesn't wore well is when you forget to put it down. Trust me, you'll only do that once.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a learning curve - once you get used to it you'll realize there's none better!
As stated - it locks in - you can push the bike forward and backward on level cement/ashfault while on the stand.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Be patient, you will get use to it.
The lock that is on the kick stand allows them to move some but it is good to have.
Takes a while to get use to it.

In God we Trust

dd
What he said! It freaked me out the first time I got off and the bike rolled forward a bit. Any of the bikes I had before that would have been a signal I was about to see my bike laying on the ground. The HD stand is the greatest, just let it grow on you.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

After living with these FLH kickstands for 13 years and being around others who ride metrics, I can say that this is the most stable perch imaginable. Once the bike leans onto the kickstand it will not fall over even if you're on an immoderate grade either fore or aft. It does have some slack, but it isn't going anywhere and it definitely won't fall over. You'll get used to it and in time you will appreciate it.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

have someone sit on your bike upright, while the kickstand is down. it's a very clumsy design, but it's the way harley has been making kickstands it seems like forever. while your friend is sitting on your bike holding it upright with the kickstand down, work it through it's range of motion and you'll see the method of their madness. it locks into position when it's down. foolproof is the word that comes to mind. if you think the jiffy stand on the touring bikes feels weird, it's even stranger on a dyna, they seem to lean back more. harleys jiffy stand just works, has stood the test of time, so why try to improve something that works? very dependable and once you study how they work, you'll have confidence that it'll hold your bike up. i cannot think of any aftermarket replacement that can compare with the functionality and durability.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

The jiffy stand is awesome. Once you get used to it!

Quick Reply: Touring model (sg) kickstand