Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fleet Auction of Police FLHPI Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50K sounds like a lot to me but it's probably alright given the source. One other consideration for you may be that since this is your first HD, you can see if it is something you want to pursue without spending a bunch of green to get in. Get one, shine it up, put on some chrome, ride it for a while. If you find that you are an HD guy, sell it, get all your money back and buy something else.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM
zoom-zoom
Advanced

One of my friends is a motor cop for the Trussville PD. Their bikes are very well maintained. I would not be afraid to buy one.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:01 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can get one for a decent price then why not? Fix it up and make a nice cruiser out of it. Let the "**** annies" buy the new bikes and then agonize about when to change the oil and what kind to use. Let them fret about how their "baby" has been violated by a stone chip or a chrome smudge. Try to get one with low miles and is in decent shape and ride and enjoy it.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:17 AM
cccdesign
Stage II

Wow, this forum is great. These replies provide many thoughtful suggestions and words of encouragement. Based on what I have read so far, it sound to me like this is worth pursuing. Probably should expect to do some maintenance right out of the gate, but as one person suggested this maybe a good way to see if a HD motorcycle is right for me.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my FLHPI from the first 'title owner'. That's the first person to buy after police owned it. Mine had 64k on it when I got it. The previous owner stated that it had 24k on it when he purchased. You can expect to be near where I was when I first got mine as far as maintenance or upgrading. Look to replace cam chains along with the tensioners. I did the SE Camplate upgrade with Hyd. tensioners and hi vol oil pump. The cam chains themselves were worn so bad it mucked with the timing, so I changed those out also. The primary chain would be a good thing to consider now also. I'm adding a 6 spd gearset. The existing 5 spd looks amazingly well kept other than the main sprocket bearing was a tad sloppy. I believe I have spent close to $3500 just in parts, and thats not a complete overhaul yet.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:23 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest budgeting about $2-3000 after the purchase for issues not readily apparent on first blush.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Dandy1
Supporter

Like Cbears stated, I bought an 07 RK Police about 2 months ago. I didn't want to jump out there and and pay the big bucks for a new one right off. I figured this would be a good way to test one out. Mine had 27K miles on it and now I have 30K. I have not done anything but change the oil and breaks and driver floorboards as far as maintinance goes. The guy who first bought it last January put a touring seat, passenger backrest, passenger floorboards and Samson exhaust on it. He had spend about $1500 and I have spent another $1000 on it in goodies. But I will say out of the 19 motorcycles I have owned this one is the most fun to ride and gets the most attention. I'm going to ride this one a couple years and then sell it and by another police bike.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

........ and a great thing about a cop bike is that the 103 kit & oil cooler are already installed. I'd love to get hold of a reasonably priced FLHTP for a sidecar project.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM
1999E-Glide
Cruiser

I absolutely love my Police Bike. I got it for an incredible deal, then did all the engine and cosmetic dress up I wanted to. I have had to do a few maintenance items such as Front Wheel Bearings and Rear Swingarm Bearings and brakes. Normal stuff. My bike just now turned 50,000 miles and with everything I have done, it is actually just like, and rides just like, a new bike for less than half the money. I am very pleased. I don't think you can go wrong. I love my pucks on the saddlebags I can open them going down the road, and my wife doesn't break the latches like she did on my last bike. The voltage regulator and stator are heavier duty to support all the police lights and garb they have on them, there are quite a few advantages. The only thing I have left to do are my wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Fleet Auction of Police FLHPI Motorcycles-1st.jpg  
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1999E-Glide
I absolutely love my Police Bike. I got it for an incredible deal, then did all the engine and cosmetic dress up I wanted to. I have had to do a few maintenance items such as Front Wheel Bearings and Rear Swingarm Bearings and brakes. Normal stuff. My bike just now turned 50,000 miles and with everything I have done, it is actually just like, and rides just like, a new bike for less than half the money. I am very pleased. I don't think you can go wrong. I love my pucks on the saddlebags I can open them going down the road, and my wife doesn't break the latches like she did on my last bike. The voltage regulator and stator are heavier duty to support all the police lights and garb they have on them, there are quite a few advantages. The only thing I have left to do are my wheels.
Man, that is freakin beautiful!!!

Quick Reply: Fleet Auction of Police FLHPI Motorcycles