Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide fairing removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:46 PM
stevec
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide fairing removal

OK , did a quick search, found Street and E Glide fairing removal. Besides the 6 torx screws and the 4 turn signal bolts, how do you get the front fairing off this beast. It was suppose to be a sunny day here in CT but it decided to rain (what a suprise), so I want to install hog tunes and radar but the fairing is being stubborn, so if you know let me know, TIA, Steve

Old 06-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: Road Glide fairing removal

sawzall [8D]

Old 06-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Patience and persistence! Seriously, the fairing sits in a sweet spot. You have to wiggle up and down and pull toward you at the same time. Don't bother removing the windshield. Getting it off is the easy part...........then you have to put it back on and find the sweet spot again. You'll see the issues once you get the thing removed.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:07 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

There are 2 hooks that support the outer fairing that attach to corresponding slots just above the headlights. i have found it easiest to push aft and up on the fairing untill you feel that they have disengaged for removal. For reinstalling have beer and cigarettes handy for when you get frustrated.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I take my turn signals off both sides and then take out the six torx screws. Lift up and out and off it comes, unplug the headlight connector and it's off. I have had mine off four times in the last week dealing with and radio issue, that turned out to be the speakers causing the radio to over heat and fade in and out. Getting it back on is a little trickier, it has to hang on the two hooks that fit into slots on the headlight assembly, this is where you need to be careful not to get the side scratched and make sure they clip into the slots on the inner fairing. I agree about the windshield, too much of a pain to remove it just to take the fairing off.

Good Luck!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/482127245ABF4CDA88C98B62738D77AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 AM
hsvdrummer
Stage I
Default Inner Fairing threads broke off? quick fix?

My 05 RG has had the fairing off several times and as a result the thread assembly that is fixed onto the inner fairing at the windshield and around the fairing have been stripped or have broken off from the fairing. This makes it terribly difficult to change windshields, headlights etc... Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it? Is there a new part to fix this? HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:06 AM
hdslam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove all the torques, leave the windshield on. Apply pressure, upwards, to lift off the clips which hold the outer fairing. Protect fender w/ soft towel. After fairing is over clips, pull towards you, gently. Lower it slightly and remove the molex connector for the headlamp assembly.

RE-Install; It is easier to keep the head lamp assembly out at this time. This will allow you to see the clips for the fairing mount. If you keep the headlamp assembly in, you will only get frustrated. W/ the headlamp out, it will only take a couple of minutes to put back together.

Re-connect molex to headlamp and lock in headlamp....DONE!!!

I have had mine off several times w/out any problems.

For "Thundercloud"; You more than likely have the incorrect speakers on the bike, meaning the ohms. This will cause head unit to overheat and cut-out. If speakers were changed. Check wiring also, this will cause it overheat and melt down.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Road Glider
Tourer
Thumbs up

+1 on the removing the headlight! There are 3 green clips that release the headlght. You can see the hooks the fairing attaches to when putting the fairing back on, then snap the headlight back in. It took me 2 frick'in hours trying to reinstall the fairing the first time without removing the headlight.

Do yourself a favor...pop out the headlights before reinstalling!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 AM
06Roadie
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt even bother to reinstall without taking the headlight assembly out first. It is a must! You cant see the hooks with the headlight assembly in.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
screws4156
Road Captain

Towel on the fenger is a must. Take your time.

Quick Reply: Road Glide fairing removal