Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide fairing removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the +10's what is the best way to remove the headlight assembly? I am thinking remove the plastic piece on the front, pull the fairing, then pinch the green clips to remove the headlights themselves. When I pulled the fairing to do my gps mount & install I left the headlight in. After having the fairing off I saw the 3 green clips and was like, oh easy. Only prob is the headlight "shroud" keep the lights from coming out and I couldn't hold the fairing and get the front plastic piece of easy. So I reinstalled with headlight assembly on. Twice now. PITA.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took mine off for the first time to track down what sounded like a rattle when I hit uneven road. I did not have an extra pair of hands so I put a small plastic fold-out picnic table over the fender. I set a thick blanket on top of the table. Worked out well because you need to rest the faring on something if you want to disconnect the wires for the lights. I did not have to disconnect the lights but it is a good option to have. Also, it makes a good place to lay your HD manual. Tools went on the seats.

Use care when removing the plastic cover for the lights. I'm not sure what the best way is so I used a flat head driver. Did some damage so next time I might put some tape on the tip. Push in the green tabs that hold in the lights, push the lights out and let them rest on the table. Now when you go to install the faring you can see where the faring needs to meet the clips/arms.

For install, do not over tighten the screws. Leave the signal lights a bit loose so you can make adjustments before you tighten up the faring screws. It sound more complicated than it is. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew and enjoy the process.

Attached Thumbnails  Road Glide fairing removal-picnic-table.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
slickwillie
Stage III

Im taking mine off this weekend to add driving lights its my second RG and ive sweated taking off the fairing, but after reading everyones directions ill give it a try- Willyd 09 fltrse3 silver

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,870 Likes on 9,333 Posts

After you install your Hogtunes, you will have more difficulty cramming all the extra wires back into the fairing while trying to hang it on the hooks.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,542 Posts

there are some 'fins' on the inner and outer fairing that overlap each other. the first time i removed the fairing, on reinstall, i got caught by those and the fairing just didn't sit right. you'll see them after you remove the outer fairing, they are close to the outermost part of the fairing.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
CurtisO
Tourer

Thanks for mentioning the fins. The first time I had mine off I didn't have all the fins engaged properly. And fairing was not seated properly. Now I leave turn signals a little loose and check all the fins to make sure thay are all engaged. Only takes a few minutes not to pull on and off. Still it's one of my least favorite things to do on this bike. Of course reading the service manual really helps.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to "Wachuco's" thread on this question.
Photos are terrific & the instructions are on the mark.