Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed on '09+ Mustang backrest

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 PM
DougM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed on '09+ Mustang backrest

I ordered a Mustang backrest from my dealer and just put it on my '09 RG. There were no directions in the box but I felt it was a no-brainer install.

When I had the seat back on and the backrest in I tried to adjust the backrest to my liking. It seems like it would be super comfortable but there is one problem. I can't lean back against it without it making the backrest post move all the way down and hit the fender. It seems to work OK on the highest setting but that it too high to be comfortable.

My guess is that the angle it is mounted at causes a vertical pressure on the post and presses it straight down.

Finally, my question: Is the front mount of the bracket supposed to go over or under the plastic battery cover? I assumed that it was supposed to go under the plastic for direct contact with the metal frame. I guess if it were mounted above the plastic tray it would raise the front of the bracket 1/4" and change the angle of the post enough that leaning against it wouldn't cause it to push/sink into the bracket. How is yours mounted?

FYI, I did adjust the set screw for the indents as tight as I could and still allow the post to move up or down. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DougM
I ordered a Mustang backrest from my dealer and just put it on my '09 RG. There were no directions in the box but I felt it was a no-brainer install.

When I had the seat back on and the backrest in I tried to adjust the backrest to my liking. It seems like it would be super comfortable but there is one problem. I can't lean back against it without it making the backrest post move all the way down and hit the fender. It seems to work OK on the highest setting but that it too high to be comfortable.

My guess is that the angle it is mounted at causes a vertical pressure on the post and presses it straight down.

Finally, my question: Is the front mount of the bracket supposed to go over or under the plastic battery cover? I assumed that it was supposed to go under the plastic for direct contact with the metal frame. I guess if it were mounted above the plastic tray it would raise the front of the bracket 1/4" and change the angle of the post enough that leaning against it wouldn't cause it to push/sink into the bracket. How is yours mounted?

FYI, I did adjust the set screw for the indents as tight as I could and still allow the post to move up or down. Thanks in advance for your help!
Can you post some pics of your installation? Are you sure you got an 09 compatible model?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
DougM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying Ace, I ordered the correct backrest for an '09 and verified the part number on the bracket. I ended up putting the front bracket on top of the plastic battery cover to adjust the angle a little. I also tightened the set screw as tight as I could. The post barely slides in and out now. I'm not 100% happy with how it seems to fit now but will probably live with it. I'll call Mustang tomorrow to see what they say. I can use it now but the backrest sits 1-2 notches higher than what I'd like and I have to make sure I put my butt all all the way back in the seat before leaning back or it will make the post slide down.

Thanks for your help. I'm open to more suggestions if anybody has any experience with this issue.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug,

I got mine today also and was surprised it had no instructions but it was easy to install. I put it on top of the plastic like you did.

I noticed the same thing about the backrest dropping down, I really like it at the lowest position but if you put if at any other position and lean back it seems to lock in place just fine. I did screw the screw in about 1/2 turn but then realized if you go in too far, when you lean back you can do damage to the little ball.

I think if you play with it a little you will find it locks in place when you lean back. Depending on how you lean back you can make it drop.

I just put a Sundowner on my 09 a week ago and now with the Mustage backrest it's about as good as any seat could be. I am very pleased.

Ptag