Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode-check engine light 1800rpm max

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:06 PM
SKYCLIMBER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode-check engine light 1800rpm max

WE STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT TONIGHT. WHEN IT CHANGED TO GREEN TWISTED THE THROTTLE AND NOTHING THERE. AFTER TWISTING THE THROTTLE ALL THE WAY WE COULD ONLY GO 30 MPH MAX OR 1800 RPM MAX AND IT TOOK AWHILE TO GET EVEN THAT. THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. GOT HOME AND WHEN I RESTARTED 5 MINUTES LATER IT WAS BACK TO NORMAL. I WOULD LIKE TO FIX WHATEVER IT WAS. ANY IDEAS? I DO HAVE 20K ON IT NOW AND THE TRIP RESET QUIT WORKING ABOUT 2K AGO. I HAVE TO PUNCH IT NUMEROUS TIMES TO CHANGE IT.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SKYCLIMBER
WE STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT TONIGHT. WHEN IT CHANGED TO GREEN TWISTED THE THROTTLE AND NOTHING THERE. AFTER TWISTING THE THROTTLE ALL THE WAY WE COULD ONLY GO 30 MPH MAX OR 1800 RPM MAX AND IT TOOK AWHILE TO GET EVEN THAT. THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. GOT HOME AND WHEN I RESTARTED 5 MINUTES LATER IT WAS BACK TO NORMAL. I WOULD LIKE TO FIX WHATEVER IT WAS. ANY IDEAS? I DO HAVE 20K ON IT NOW AND THE TRIP RESET QUIT WORKING ABOUT 2K AGO. I HAVE TO PUNCH IT NUMEROUS TIMES TO CHANGE IT.
Take to the dealer and let them find out what is wrong. Whatever happened is in history and you can pull the codes by using odometer reset button. This called limp mode.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 AM
SKYCLIMBER
Tourer

Will do that, they are closed sun & mon. Thanks

Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
HOGNIT
Tourer

mine did that just after sturgis,and they finally figured out that it was the throttle module on the side of your efi were the wire and plug are plugged into right next to your air cleaner went bad, and that can only be replaced by replacing the whole throttle body. about $450.00 worth. they tryed to blame mine on the pcv causing it.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:35 AM
SKYCLIMBER
Tourer

It ran ok when i took it to the dealer but no code turned up. Now they want to keep it for a while and ride it a couples of times a day to get it to do it again. It also did it when i first started it up yesterday so its not a heat problem.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer

at my age, I stay in limp mode.
hope yours will be an easier fix.
good luck with it.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 AM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by beaucoup_dinkydow
at my age, I stay in limp mode.
hope yours will be an easier fix.
good luck with it.
What he said! LMAO!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Lil Evil
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are issues with the FBW throttle actuator. There are 2 pin connectors that corrode inside the stock acuator plug (#2 and #3) and the ecm harness (#29 and two others - i dont remember which). Those pins should be changed. If that doesn't cure it, you may need a new throttle body. This has happened occasionally on all stock FBW models and should be covered by your warranty. Your local dealer can call tech services to find out what pins need to be changed.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:16 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SKYCLIMBER
It ran ok when i took it to the dealer but no code turned up. Now they want to keep it for a while and ride it a couples of times a day to get it to do it again. It also did it when i first started it up yesterday so its not a heat problem.
Thats BS, you would have got a P1510 or P1511 code as soon as she went into limp home mode, and it should have been stored as a historic code.

My 58mm throttle body does this every now and then, usually in the rain. I have to shut down, unplug and replug the throttle body and reset the code and off she goes. Its a loose wire in the connector. Stealer says he will fix it next service.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil Evil
There are issues with the FBW throttle actuator. There are 2 pin connectors that corrode inside the stock acuator plug (#2 and #3) and the ecm harness (#29 and two others - i dont remember which). Those pins should be changed. If that doesn't cure it, you may need a new throttle body. This has happened occasionally on all stock FBW models and should be covered by your warranty. Your local dealer can call tech services to find out what pins need to be changed.
Do you think applying some Dielectric Grease would help prevent this?

Quick Reply: Limp mode-check engine light 1800rpm max