Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proficient motorcycling: break, slow, lean & roll

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
thomas_remkus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Proficient Motorcycling": break, slow, lean & roll

I am reading "Proficient Motorcycling" and on page 75 the technique to properly go through a curve is to break in a straight line as much as possible, release the breaks and make sure the engine speed is smoothed out, lean and roll on the throttle at the same time.

I'm not talking about counter stearing in this post just the methods to get the engine and your overall speed correct for a turn/curve. I've only been riding for a couple months and I'm not sure I have this practiced and just sort of play every corner/turn by ear.

Are these the methods that riders typically use for a smooth and safe ride?

Last edited by thomas_remkus; 09-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only speak for myself.......YES!!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This technique applies to any vehicle about to enter a curve. The vehicle (bike in this case but it applies to cars as well) needs to be stable as it enters the curve. Hence the braking and downshifting, throttle matching and clutch releasing etc al should happen BEFORE the entry to the corner/curve.

Anything that causes the vehicle suspension to unload or destabilize during the curve/corner can lead to a hairy experience.

Last edited by cmhfguy; 09-13-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:40 PM
thomas_remkus
Intermediate

It's been raining here in Houston, Tx, for a couple weeks (off and on ... but mostly off) and I've been resolved to learn how to ride in the rain so I've been out there. Do these techniques change with rain substantially? My main technique has been to just slow way down and curves/turns have not been an issue but I have not been focused on any real technique, save falling over.

Does the lean of the bike and a throttle roll allow for most wet roads to be taken without issue?

Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I re-read that book at the beginning of every season, some pretty good strategies and techniques. If you have not taken an MSF or riders Edge course, I would highly recommend that as well. They pretty much drilled the SLOW-LOOK-LEAN-ROLL thing into my head so much that I still repeat it to myself while entering a turn.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
thomas_remkus
Intermediate

Took the MSF on one of those 450s and sort of didn't worry about it. Now with 1,500 miles on my FLTR I can read this book and start to really understand what they are talking about. So I'm focused on understanding and making sure that I form good habits. My ERC is in October and I'm really excited about practicing and getting more skills today, and getting more during the class.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
harry.b
Tourer

YES. I lost engine power once going around a curve and my bike went down (fell over). It's all about traction to the rear wheel IMHO. Commendations for learning all that you can about operating a motorcycle. It will come in handy.

HB

Old 09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

The short answer to this is "Yes!" Practice, practice, practice. You might want the DVD that's out as well, good stuff.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:16 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep and Proficient Motorcycling is still The Bible for riding.

Check speed going into the turn, idealy be at the speed you can safely enter the turn in, the use the counter steering technique, look where you want to go and apply some slow roll-on power to take you through the corner and exit.

No brake lights are great, but gentle braking isn't a sin if you need to scrub off some more speed, but apply a lot of front brake while leaned over and the bars will get ripped from your hands and you'll be down before you know what hits you.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

'Ride like a Pro' is a good DVD also, particularly if you're new to cycling...teaches some very basic techniques up to a little more advanced. I like to practice the basics regularly (for example on my way to work at 6am this morning I ducked into a local park and just did some tight figure 8's for a few minutes).

Quick Reply: proficient motorcycling: break, slow, lean & roll