Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proficient motorcycling: break, slow, lean & roll

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Rkoetting
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I generally try to "brake" instead of "break" before a turn, but it doesn't always work out that way...

Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 AM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend the "Ride Like a Pro" series. I bought it a month ago (I'm an experienced rider) but wanted to see what this was all about. I think I learned more in the first 2 hours of watching that video ..then riding for 30 years. Then practice practice practice....I feel a lot better about my riding (I'm on a new bagger) and it handled a lot different then a cruiser...so this was perfect.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by audettd
I highly recommend the "Ride Like a Pro" series. I bought it a month ago (I'm an experienced rider) but wanted to see what this was all about. I think I learned more in the first 2 hours of watching that video ..then riding for 30 years. Then practice practice practice....I feel a lot better about my riding (I'm on a new bagger) and it handled a lot different then a cruiser...so this was perfect.
Well said. One thing I've learned is that the older I get, the more important practice is and this applies to ALL things. A couple of weeks ago I sprained my right knee palying softball in the summer beer drinking league. As a result I didn't go to the gym for a while. When I finally made it back in, it was struggle to do the exercises I did with ease just a few weeks earlier. Same with motorcycling. When I stop practicing or working on the basics, I can feel the deterioration creeping in.

Mark

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
agentofchaos53
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JimmySGC
I just finished the MSF course today and the "look" thing was something that took some getting used to. I have a tendency to look down or at the ground in front of the bike. I really concentrated on looking at my target or beyond and it does really put you where you want to be.
yes i took the course too about 4 years ago and about 3 months later stupid me went into a curve not really going fast but some guy was right on my tail and i took the curve slow and for some stupid reason i notice i was getting too close to the curve and kept looking at the curve and yep hit it and i went flying..The tail gater almost ran over me the guy behind him said later to me.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Minglewood
Advanced

Agree with everything said so far. One thing not stated yet is body position. Get off the rider's backrest (weight a little forward and to the inside of the lean). Arms extended and back straight is not conducive to holding a fast sweeping curve. Just take a look at the body position of a m/c racer. Admittedly, you better get used to scraping floorboards through the turn, and don't freak and pop back up when you do.

I keep the Proficient book near the commode and watch Motorman's "Ride Like a Pro V" DVD periodically. Highly recommend both. I also take the advanced class every few years, but that teaches mostly slow maneuvering.

Never stop practicing. That's what every ride is for.