Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4K between fluids is too long!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4K between fluids is too long!

I decided to tackle my own fluid change for the first time. This gave me the opportunity to actually see what comes out of my engine. After seeing the sludge that came out, I've come to the conclusion that 4K is way too long for fluids.

I changed all 3 fluids, and all three looked like murky mud.

As far as ride quality of the motor goes....I will say that there is definitely a better feel to my engine with new oil.

SO if any of you have never seen what actually comes out of your engine, I'd suggest you get into the habit of changing oils more frequently.

New oil can't hurt an engine, that's or sure.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:59 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Amsoil synthetic and change every 5K. Stuff looks pretty much like it did going in. How many miles and what year is your bike?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Up to you but a good quality oil should go 5K no problem

Old 09-13-2009, 11:08 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Newer bikes should be able to go for 5k without any problems.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike is a 2005, with 5500 miles. I had the 1K done 2 years ago, and changed everything over to Syn3.

I've since put 4500 miles before I did this fluid change. The engine oil was thick and dark.

Maybe because a lot of my miles are local riding, could be playing a role in the oil breakdown.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say 4K miles on stock HD conventional oil could be a bit of a stretch, but it all depends on how much time has passed since the last oil change and how hard the bike is run when riding. Stock HD oil is only good if you change it frequently. The heat in an aircooled engine is detrimental to conventional oil and causes it to break down and become sludge when the temps get hot enough.

I filled all 3 holes in my Street Glide with Amsoil and I won't have to worry about it for awhile. Amsoil guarantees protection for 15K miles or 1 year when combined with their EA oil filters, although most Harley owners will never stretch it that long, but the point is you can if you ride a lot every year.

When I switched from the HD conventional oil, I also used the scavenger oil change system to flush out every drop of contaminated oil that is not drained with normal oil changes. I am now running 100% Amsoil and not a mix of HD and Amsoil oils. I pulled out at least a quart of black contaminated oil with the scavenger and I recommend that everyone use it on every oil change to get a 100% complete oil flush during your oil change. You will be amazed at how much black oil you continue to get out after you think are done draining all the contaminated oil.

I also recommend Amsoil over any other oil on the market. Your bike will thank you and run and shift like you have never imagined. I run my bike hard and I can really tell how much heat has decreased in stop/go traffic just idling with the Amsoil. Shifting is smoother and your bike's vital powertrain components will be protected to ensure they last for years and years.

Read about how the scavenger works: http://roguechopper.com/

Check out how the scavenger works by watching the touring oil change video: http://www.roguechopper.com/video-touring.html

What a great invention to help us!

Shawn

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 09-13-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
The engine oil was thick and dark.
Did you warm the bike up before draining the oil? Dark oil is common with used oil. Viscosity is related to temp.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Been servicing my own machines for 40+ years at 5K mile intervals and don't recall seeing murky mud when draining the oil. Maybe you may have something else going on that needs attention. If not check the color of the old oil against the new. I find very little difference in color with the syns I use. The biggest color difference I notice is with the ATF I use in the primary and that is due to the clutch.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Been servicing my own machines for 40+ years at 5K mile intervals and don't recall seeing murky mud when draining the oil. Maybe you may have something else going on that needs attention. If not check the color of the old oil against the new. I find very little difference in color with the syns I use. The biggest color difference I notice is with the ATF I use in the primary and that is due to the clutch.
It can be related to the amount of miles the OP drives on a yearly basis. If he rides a couple short rides during the cooler months, the condensation cannot get properly burned out of the engine.

Black oil on engine's second oil change seems pretty normal to me. I seriously doubt the oil is 'broke down'. Just the contaminates from still being a new engine. I have noticed my oil 'cleaning up' after 10k.

OP... you need to run the bike for over an hour if and when you run in cooler type weather, the heat generated vaporizes water condensation that can occur from shorter type rides. Condensation makes oil look like a mud brown. Also, needs to ride the bike more often

New oil for sure can NOT hurt anything but your wallet, and piece of mind comes in all kinds of packages and price ranges. You are doing good... just ride more! HAHA!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 09-13-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
My bike is a 2005, with 5500 miles. I had the 1K done 2 years ago, and changed everything over to Syn3.

I've since put 4500 miles before I did this fluid change. The engine oil was thick and dark.

Maybe because a lot of my miles are local riding, could be playing a role in the oil breakdown.
don't just go by mileage. letting contaminated oil sit in an unused engine is not a good idea. if you only ride 4500 miles every two years, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change your oil out annually, regardless of mileage.

it takes me about 3-4 months to get 5,000 miles, and when i change my fluids, there is not much difference in color between the new oil and the old oil, except as previously stated in the primary.

i do my engine every 5k, primary and tranny at 10k. easier to remember that way. primary/tranny every other engine oil change.

Quick Reply: 4K between fluids is too long!