Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4K between fluids is too long!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:17 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skratch
don't just go by mileage. letting contaminated oil sit in an unused engine is not a good idea. if you only ride 4500 miles every two years, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change your oil out annually, regardless of mileage.

it takes me about 3-4 months to get 5,000 miles, and when i change my fluids, there is not much difference in color between the new oil and the old oil, except as previously stated in the primary.

i do my engine every 5k, primary and tranny at 10k. easier to remember that way. primary/tranny every other engine oil change.
what he said..

judging from your stated mileage you should be changing at least once a year. If you live in an area where do don't ride during the winter months it would also be a good idea to change it twice a year. Once at the beginning of the season and then put it to bed with fresh fluids at the end of the season.

I change mine at 5k, and for me thats every 3-4 months

Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I love these threads. All over the diesel forums too....

The only way to tell if your oil is broken down is with an oil sample report. Send a sample to Blackstone Laboratories (using their free sampling kit) and they'll tell you exactly what's going on with your engine. Not that anyone cares, but that's what I'll be doing at my 5000 mile oil change. I'll post a PDF of my results. Only then will I know if the oil is run too long or not. It can't be judged by the color or consistency. The oil in my truck would be BLACK within 100 miles of an oil change (which I did at 5k intervals) and the reports said I could run the oil 10,000 miles or more.

Anyway, do what makes you feel good. That's what this is all about anyway, right?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
hdnali
Novice

I agree w/a couple of you guys. Oil will breakdown over time even if only few miles on the oil change. He either rides more or changes oil more often!!!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:30 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Muddy looking oil is an indication of moisture. You don't say where you live but i'm betting it's up north where the temps change drastically season to season. Always change the fluids before putting it away for the winter and DO NOT run the bike until spring has come. Occasional starting will only accumulate moisture and contaminate the fluids. I changed all three holes today, only been 4000 miles since the dealer changed them. The crank was clean and no shavings at all, the trany was clean and no shavings at all, the primary was mud for some reason and had a small amount of shavings. Makes me wonder if they changed it last time.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 09-13-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:39 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
I changed all 3 fluids, and all three looked like murky mud.
Just wait till you change the FORK OIL......that stuff starts looking disgusting after just 5k miles.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Mobil1 15-50 Synthetic $26.00 5qt. jug from Wal-Mart. Change every 5K miles.

Mobil1 75-90 Synthetic Tranny Oil $8.00 any auto parts store. Change once a season.

Castrol GTX 10-40 Dino $2.50qt for Primary from Wal-Mart. Change once a season. Using a synthetic in the primary is simply a waste of a good synthetic oil and a waste of money. Primary oil is not intended for lubrication. It is a coolant.

HD Super Premium Oil Filters. I buy 6 at a time from either Chicago HD or Zanottis online @ 20% off. Your filter is the weakest link in your lubrication cycle, why scrimp on it? It has the best filtering rating of any filter on the market. Change every 2500 miles.

Dayum, I luv oil threads.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:01 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can get 5k out of my Red Line no problems.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM
CrashX
Tourer

The 2 years and mostly short trips might have something to do with it.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
I had the 1K done 2 years ago
I think you should change the title to.........2 years inbetween oil changes is too long!

There is a reason why oil turns to sludge.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I also have been changing my oil myself for over forty years and every 5K miles has worked well with no engine, trans, primary problems regardless if using HD dino or synthetic oils.

Low mileage over long periods of time and short rides without fully heating up the machine may be contributing to the appearance of the fluids. Also, as someone mentioned, if you drained the oil while it was not warm it would seem thicker.

Quick Reply: 4K between fluids is too long!