Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Windshield setup as good as Batwing Fairing for air turbulence?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
They do, it's called a Street Glide
that was going to be my response. I personally dont' like the look of the Batwing, but i appreciate the protection it offers. So when the weather gets a little "iffy" i use the batwing. Other than that, its windshield (at a short one at that)

Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
They do, it's called a Street Glide
But IMO I think Harley could sell a bunch of RKs if they would lower the licence plate like on the EG Standard used to be, and offer a RK convertable with a batwing fairing with some of the extra gauges, and the stero, leave the speedo on the tank, where it is now, and include a windshield, make the batwing removable, they could call it the Road King Convertable.
Terry

Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, i can't imagine it would be that difficult to make a "turnkey" detachable fairing for the Road King, obviously there are enough out there that they have a pretty good feel for what it would take. I'm suprised the MoCo hasn't jumped on it instead of conceding the $2k to aftermarket companies.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Deleted my author.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
tl vette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently bought a Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing. of course i am not so sure a RK custom would qualify as being the trditional looking RK anyway. But i am 6-1 and to get a shield tall enough to do me any good, it looked like a snow plow on the front to me. So i bought the fairing. i do like the look with the short 5" shield. (well really i like the look of no shield at all best, but i am too old for that.) the issue with the 5" shield is i still get a bit of wind. So recently i cut up my CLearview recurve shield and made an 11" shield for the fairing. that has been the best ride i have had. what i have realized is a lot of the buffeting can be controlled by how far your knees are from the tank. if you hold them about an inch or so, you take away most buffeting. even with the short shield i can control how much buffeting i get. i never really trid this with the shield before the fairing so maybe i could have made that better.
SO for me when it is a short ride and not too cold, nothing on the front. when it is warm, i use the 5" shield and the fairing. when it is cold or real windy or a longer high speed ride, the tall shield.
but you will find what works for you best. Just keep playing with it and maybe try a friends bike to see how you like what they have.