Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:45 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Pulling a trailer

Hey bros. am thinking about buying a pull behind trailer to pull behind my Ultra. Next year wife and I are planning a trip from Reno up into Idaho,Montana to Yellowstone,back down into Utah, the Grand Canyon. What are your thoughts about pulling a trailer and what's a good trailer to look at.
Thanks
Santa

Old 09-12-2009, 08:09 AM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Trailmaster Aspen Classic that I'm very happy with, I put about 7k miles on it this year. 325lbs empty, probably 450-500 loaded. Takes a bit to get used to and anyone who says you won't know it's back there is full of s*** but it doesn't handle badly at all. I can still drag the boards through the twisties and can still manage a respectable u-turn.

If brakes are an option on yours I'd suggest them, and take a minute to set up the controller loaded. Once up to cruising speed it's not bad but taking off, especially up hill, sucks... I'm kicking around the idea of a Baker DD7 and a mild 103-107" build.

Running two up and pulling a trailer will be tough on the shocks, I'm running 13.5" Progressive 440HD's, I'd at least give them some thought. Be prepared to eat rear tires, towing seems to knock 1/2 the life off of them.

Can't think of anything else off-hand...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim

Hey bros. am thinking about buying a pull behind trailer to pull behind my Ultra. Next year wife and I are planning a trip from Reno up into Idaho,Montana to Yellowstone,back down into Utah, the Grand Canyon. What are your thoughts about pulling a trailer and what's a good trailer to look at.
Thanks
Santa
Wife and I really enjoy our trailer. We usually camp, trailer gives us room for lots of gear.

This is the trailer I have with a hitch doc hitch. This has been a good company to deal with.
http://www.american-legend.com/models/models_legend.asp

Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problems pulling a trailer. I have a Uni-Go, it's small but it meets my needs. Do I notice it back there...just a bit. The biggest issue is riding 2-up fully loaded and....learning to stop....just practice and you will get used to it. I have never found it to eat tires or cause suspension issues.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bushtec and it is a great trailer but my bike needed a little more motor to handle it sufficiently imo. Be prepared to have to spend some money for at least cams especially if riding two up.

This was us last weekend going to Springfield for the first time since putting in the cams.

With only a stage 1 setup the bike required frequent downshifts but the cam really helped. I'll be installing a 103 kit in a couple of weeks once I get the heads/cylinders back from the machine shop.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lee makes a good point....having even a mild motor upgrade makes a big difference.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
highmark1
Advanced

bushtec. Watched all trailers being pulled and appeared that the bushtec handled the best. I pull mine like its not even there.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattman22033
No problems pulling a trailer. I have a Uni-Go, it's small but it meets my needs. Do I notice it back there...just a bit. The biggest issue is riding 2-up fully loaded and....learning to stop....just practice and you will get used to it. I have never found it to eat tires or cause suspension issues.
Since it has just one tire if it fails the trailer is going to take off on its own and take the bike with it. I have a friend who is a FL Trooper (and a biker) who was called out to a fatal and he maintains this was the cause. He told me this story because I was very interested in getting a Uni-Go.

I’m now looking at a Trekker http://www.trekkertrailer.com/index.php and I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has one.

Last edited by SA315B; 09-12-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:09 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by santajim

Thanks
Santa
You are in GREAT shape SANTA......you have all winter to find what you want and like.
Great deals can be found, most mfr's will have winter specials with discounts.
Your trailering needs depends on are you planning on camping?? or hotel jumping??
If you are going to hotel it most any mfr will do, you will find the one you like at the price your willing to pay.....
I went with a BREEZE by Country Trailers http://www.countrytrailers.net/breeze.html
My wife and I camp 90% of the time on the road and we are able to stuff everything we need into our trailer.
If I had it to do over again, I would go with a BUNKHOUSE. http://www.bf-specialties.com/
I have look over quite a few of them at the campgrounds and the new models are SLICK!!!!
They are on the heavy side and for a first time motorcycle/trailer unit may seem like alot. But it's not.
Like anything new, take your time. Drive the speed limit until you get use to it.
Just remember!!! Don't park anywhere that you can't drive straight out of.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:50 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When going on big trips don't leave home with out it. I have a starlight and love it. If your going on long trips it is a great investment. There are alot out there and it just depends on how much you are willing to pay. I had mine pin striped to match the bike.

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer