Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While buying my RK I looked at a customers bike with a hitch. My salesman caught the look on my face and cautioned me about insurance with a trailer. As I was not buying a new bike, warranty was not an issue. So do any of you guys know if you are covered while pulling a trailer?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:00 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
While buying my RK I looked at a customers bike with a hitch. My salesman caught the look on my face and cautioned me about insurance with a trailer. As I was not buying a new bike, warranty was not an issue. So do any of you guys know if you are covered while pulling a trailer?
Yes, I have a seperate policy for trailer and it cost $26.00 a year.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:25 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's something that's just not right about pulling a trailer behind a bike. Kinda like taking you mother-in-law on your honeymoon.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

My insurance covers it as well with a $20.00 rider for it. The ONLY down side other than accelerated rear tire wear is about a 4-5 mpg hit depending on the wind conditions. I pull a cyclemate and it is absolutely effortless.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you wanting one built already or to build one?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the link you need if you're even remotely thinking about getting a trailer. This one has a ton of different vendors, and you can just sit back and shop, and dial in exactly what you want. Good Luck, and when you come to Montana make sure you ride HWY12 from Lewiston, ID to Lolo, MT or visa versa. Great ride. I've met folks from all over the world that have been riding that little 200+ mile stretch of two lane winding road with a river alongside the entire way. Give me a yell (PM) when you're headed up this way.

http://www.aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 PM
topdog1958
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an American Legend, and I love it! Cannot tell it is behind me at all. I have pulled it all across this great country. I would not consider another brand. Great customer service!! Top notch people, I see them at most of the Big Rallies, and they always make me feel like family. Check them out or give Bob a call, he will help you in anyway he can.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:21 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Last year I pulled a trailer for a total of 2,600 miles. I hated it so much that I gave it away.

I first used it to go to Sturgis last year. I thought it would be great to have all the extra room for my trip to Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle this year.

The Strugis trip was to be practice and learning about towing. I felt more like I was driving a car and had to pay more attention to lane placement. It was a pain to find a pull through place at the service station/restaurants. I had to mess with backing a lot.

I didn't feel that I had the quick maneuvering to avoid a road hazard or old lady in a Buick.

Many have pulled trailers for years. I have even seen a couple towing a teardrop camper. But for me never again. I ride motorcycles for the way they handle. That goes out the door with a trailer. I now stick with the MoCo's warning not to tow a trailer.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it is worth, the goldwingers are big on the bushtec. I agree with lh4x4. Trailers go good with trikes. Until I get to the point I need a trike, I'll just pack light. My wife has learned how to get by on less. (don't even go there) Still had to pack her 17" laptop this year though!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

We've put about 70K on our Aluma with no problems. It pulls great and is light enough that I can pick up the back of the loaded trailer if I need to slide it over in a parking space.

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer