Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:32 PM
olddude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cycle mate 2000, wife and I do some camping, I don't know it there until I start up into the mountains here in So. Cal. We are planning a cross country trip and we will take the trailer.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:54 PM
hfdarson1
Cruiser

I put over 5000 miles on an Aluma trailer this summer. $2000.00 including shipping. There are other off brand such as Aluma-lite and some other ones but Aluma is made in Iowa is American made and come completely assembled. I bought it from Thomas Bus in Iowa. The best price I could find.

Jerry

Old 09-12-2009, 07:01 PM
ACRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a Cycle-Mate LTD. http://timeouttrailers.org/CMLTD.aspx
It should arrive this week. I also just picked up my Krome Werks trailer hitch today from the dealer. I pulled a trailer for a bit on my buddies Softtail when we switched bikes on a trip a couple weeks ago. He's got an Evo with Stage 1 and had problems keeping up with me on hills. I felt the same thing when we switched. But we were pretty loaded and 2-up. I could feel it back there occasionally, especially while braking. Give yourself some extra room. One thing that I discovered today when I picked up my hitch is that putting a hitch on my bike and/or towing with it will void my warranty. My service guy gave me the impression he wouldn't look the other way if I had a problem.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 PM
truxpin
Advanced

Been pulling my cargo trailer for years, never any issues (related to the trailer anyway) Ride Time Technologies sells a great electrical piece for wiring up lights for your hitch. Its a piece that fits inbetween the main wiring harness and the rear wiring harness under the seat. Makes it so that you dont have to chop into the stock wiring. (nice!)
A few things to look for in what ever trailer your looking at..... Independent rear suspention is nice to maintain a smooth riding trailer, also LED lighting is a real plus ( easy on the bikes electrical system and less chance of bulbs burning out on the road) . I also liked trailers with some decent size tires, not those little 8" thingys. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:18 PM
bosco 09
Tourer

Originally Posted by mattman22033
No problems pulling a trailer. I have a Uni-Go, it's small but it meets my needs. Do I notice it back there...just a bit. The biggest issue is riding 2-up fully loaded and....learning to stop....just practice and you will get used to it. I have never found it to eat tires or cause suspension issues.
thats the trailer i want. what hitch are you using? thanks

Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SA315B
.........Since it has just one tire if it fails the trailer is going to take off on its own and take the bike with it............
And a trailer behind a bike with one good tire & one flat tire is going to handle better how... exactly???

Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
And a trailer behind a bike with one good tire & one flat tire is going to handle better how... exactly???
A single wheel trailer will lose all stability and start swinging violently. It doesn’t take long for the trailer to drag the bike sideways.

A two wheel trailer will remain behind the bike when one wheel fails.

At least that is what a professional accident investigator tells me; if you want to believe otherwise go for it.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 PM
cropsure
Cruiser

I bought a Bushtec in Sturgis this year and I love it. Only time I can tell its back there is when I'm stopping. One of my better investments for sure.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks everyone I knew I could count on you guys to help me with my decision. I have been looking at a bunch and haven't made a decision yet but you helped me narrow it down some. Y'all Rock
Santa

Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SA315B
A single wheel trailer will lose all stability and start swinging violently. It doesn’t take long for the trailer to drag the bike sideways.

A two wheel trailer will remain behind the bike when one wheel fails.

At least that is what a professional accident investigator tells me; if you want to believe otherwise go for it.
I wouldn't think a professional accident investigator would have to explain this. I would think common sense would apply here.

If half of your trailer tires are flat or all of them are flat which would travel better? Not saying either would be enjoyable or safe but come on.

Last edited by nocarb; 09-13-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer